1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Outlaw 950?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mike>r, Mar 27, 2004.

1. mike>r

mike>r Extra

I'm currently running a H/K 310 as pre amp And a Outlaw 755 as amp. I'm considering to up-grade from the H/K to the Outlaw 950.Anybody been in the same boat?I'm actualy looking for better sound quality,the 755 is plenty powerful.Any 950 owners out there? Any input is much appreciated.

2. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

I've never owned H/K equipment, but I can tell you of my experience going from a Denon 2802 to the Outlaw 950. It was a major difference to me. I caught so many nuances in soundtracks from sound effects to music that I had never heard before when I got the 950. It really brings out everything in movies. I'm currently running it with the 750 amp. I love the 950, highly recommended!

Edwin

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Mike,
    Your best bet would be to demo it for the 30 days. Right now I own a Pioneer 811s w/Parasound HCA855a. I also have in my home right now the following:
    Outlaw 950, Pioneer 43TX, Sherbourn 5210amp. Trying to do some comparisons.

[​IMG]

4. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

I own the 950/770 combo and I agree with Edwin_H on the nuances in music and movies I've never heard before. I look forward to listening to my CDs and watching DVDs all over again with a grin on my face.

I can't compare it to any other pre/pro or receiver out there since this was my 1st major foray into HT.

I also did not have the means to demo the Outlaw so it was a big leap of faith for me that worked out perfectly IMO. Best Bang for the Buck! If you have the means demo it like what ChadLB recommends. And as always trust your own ears.

5. mike>r

mike>r Extra

Thanks for the imput guys,it's nice to hear from some outlaw owners that are satisfied.When I go to their forum seems to be mostly complaints and problems.Ive owned the 755 for over a year now and its been problem free.

ChadLB-Let me know how that works out for you ,which one you choose and why.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I am extremely happy with my Outlaw 950. However, it replaced a Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080, which was just as good, but didn't offer as many surround modes. [​IMG] You owe it to yourself to take a look at the new Sherwood Newcastle P-965 (I think that's the model number?) asa prepro in addidion to the 950. It's a real fantastic piece.

7. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

I can't compare it with anything else, but I've been using an Outlaw 950 for over a year with various amps (Classe, a Samson pro amp and a diy AKSA) and am completely happy with it.

Happy hunting!

Tempest Sub Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php