Outlaw 950 with a Denon AVR 2700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Barinder, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Barinder

Barinder Auditioning

I have a Denon AVR 2700 (about 4 years old) which is only DD (no DTS which should date it). I have been quite happy with it but now that I am moving and have upgraded many of my components I also need to upgrade this.

I've been looking at Denon and HK receivers but with the recent $100 drop in the Outlaw 950 as well as its amazing reviews I think it is too good a deal to pass up. The Denon has the 6-channel analog input as well as a coaxial and optical inputs. This is rated at 80x5 and I think that is perfectly fine and am very pleased with the sound. If I were to get the Outlaw I would assume using the digital out in the Outlaw to the digital in on the Denon (after disabling any decoding if possible) would be preferred to the 6 analog inputs (though I have a menu choice for that so I know its possible to simply use it as an amplifier).

I suppose auditioning the unit would be the best idea as I have heard nothing but excellent reviews of the product as well as their customer service. I know this receiver is past its prime for most applications but it seems like I could save an expense if I were to go with the Outlaw (and I dont think I could get as good a sound/flexibility for $799 in a receiver) but I'd hate to not be using it to its fullest potential by hooking it up to this receiver.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

IMO, if you decide to buy the 950, you should ONLY use the 2700's 5.1 analog inputs. Otherwise, why buy the 950? Just using it as a digital pass-through doesn't make much sense to me. You'd be bypassing the 950... (Besides, I don't think the digital pass-through would work for DD/DTS but only for 2 channel PCM.)

Also, IMO, while I am an Outlaw booster (I have an ICBM and do admire their amps) I'm NOT a 950 booster. Other than the flexible crossovers, I find the Denon AVR-3803 to outclass it feature-wise and user friendliness-wise in many ways. There will be some who argue differently. Each to their own. If I were upgrading the 2700 (which to me, it seems that is what you're talking about) I'd buy a 3803...

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you want to use your old receiver as a 5 channel amplifier you would use the 5.1 input if it is so equipped. Leave it in analog pass-thru mode and jam the volume up.

Better yet would be if the Denon has a pre-out->power-in loop on the back like some higher end Onkyos, use that.

Using digital connections would defeat the purpose.

Personally I wouldn't bother. If you want to upgrade to DPLII/DTS/6.1/etc. you should get either a new receiver or one of the Outlaw pre/amp combos. You can sell your old DD receiver on ePay or elsewhere.

4. Barinder

Barinder Auditioning

Thanks for the comments guys, in rereading my post I realize I didn't get my point across nearly as well as I should have. Not sure what I was asking about the digital pass through actually. [​IMG]

My question should be would there be any utility in getting the 950 and pairing it with the 2700? I'd hate to get the 950 and then pair it with something that is going to handcuff it (but I suppose I can upgrade that later as well). I would just be using the 2700 as a glorified amp. I've heard the 3803 and have been impressed and 6ave.com has full manufacturer's warranty on refrubed 3803 for $800 which is quite a deal. But thats also the cost of the 950. Seems like the 3803 is a little more flexible with inputs though. Any further ideas/comments?

Thanks
    Barinder

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Even if you use the 6ch analog input,the Denon's master volume would be still in the chain,so essentially you are using 2 pre amps before it gets to the Denon's internal power amps.
    I would get rid of the Denon,and get a good power amp for the Outlaw,it deserves it.

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I second Lewis' recommendation to get the Outlaw power amps to go with the 950. You could go with the monoblocks and them as you need them.

Parker