Outlaw 950 vs. Pioneer Elite 45TX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Edwin_H, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted a couple of opinions here. I currently have an Outlaw, but have a chance to get a 45TX. I really think the MCACC would be a great thing to have. Would the 2 units be comparable sound quality wise? I'm 90% HT, 10% music. The 45TX would be used only as a pre/pro like the 950. Basically I want to know if it is a wise choice to drop the 950 and go with the 45TX. Thanks.

Edwin

2. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

What kind of amp are you using with the Outlaw?

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I haven't tried both units and thus can't comment on overall sound quality differences.

I have had the 45TX for over a year. It replaced a Sony 333ES which in turn replaced a Yamaha RXV-795.

The Sony actually had more adjustement capability than the Pionner does, but it's all manual. I had it for about 2 years. Multiple long sessions with AVIA and the Radio Shack SPL meter did not produce as nice a sound as the Pioneer produced after the 5 minute MCACC self-calibration.

If your speaker locations or room acoustics are less than ideal as mine are I strongly recommend the MCACC feature.

4. Edwin_H

Christopher- I'm using an Outlaw 750 amp.

Steve- Thanks for the info!

Edwin

5. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

Are you happy with your Outlaw, or are you just afraid you might be passing up a good deal? I would stick with Seperates. They are very flexible. The Outlaw product, although not THX certified, has a clean, tight sound. The Pioneer Elites I have owned and heard, seem to have an overly warm sound. I prefer clean and crisp. Also, you have everything you need on the Outlaw, plus some. I would assume if Outlaw comes out with a more advanced unit, they would probably do a trade up program, Pioneer will not.

6. Edwin_H

Basically what it comes down to is I'd like that extra level of fine tuning of the sound that the MCACC offers for the Pioneer. I just don't know if that is enough of a reason to get the Pioneer over the Outlaw. So, make of that what you will. :)

Edwin

7. James-Pledge

James-Pledge Auditioning

I have actually demo'd both of these units. My detailed review is at AVS if you want to search. But to sum up, I had a H/K Signature 2.0 Per/Pro that I assumed was very long in the tooth and that the 45TX could stomp all over after hearing great reviews and seeing the specs and the MCACC feature which I think is a great idea.

When I plugged the 45TX in and ran it in analog bypass it was very bright and there was just no depth to the music. Each new instrument or voice coming to the foregound absolutely drowned out the rest of the instruments playing. I was running it off my Chiro C-500 amp as well. I didn't even give it a chance in HT because music was a priority for me. I still wonder how I could have such a poor performance from such a wonderfully reviewed reciever. Maybe it was my speakers, system, interconnects, who knows?

Then I tried the demo of the Outlaw and I was impressed. It had a very full soundstage and was fairly layed back I would say. The various layers of sound were back thankfully. I didn't end up buying it because I liked the sound of my Sig 2.0 better. If I didn't have one though, I would have bought the Outlaw.

My bout of upgraditis was solved by replacing some of my cheapo interconnects with much better ones and I actually think these made quite a difference.

If it were me, I would stick with the 950 and spend that energy on tweaking your system, you may fall in love with that 950 all over again [​IMG]

8. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I'll give the con opinion.

As with most of you - I've owned and tested many receivers.

I have the 45TX now for 1.5 years and I've never heard anything that would make me look back.

I love the mcacc and what it does for weird complex rooms that we could never do.

I love music and I'm a trumpet player. I love the way this thing sounds with my Paradigm Studios. I wouldn't call this receiver warm. I think it is neutral and naturally represents to sound. If anything, because of the clean sound - many think it is bright. It does not emphasize the midrange for sure.

I know the outlaw is a good pre pro but I'd get that 45 and hook it up with your outlaw and and rock.

Although, unless you like ear bleeding - I think the 45 has plenty of power.

Mike

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

James,

If you were running the source into the 45TX through the analog bypass and out to an external amp, then you were hearing more of the souce component itself and really using the Pioneer as a volume control.

I would think if you wanted to evaluate the 45TX's performance you'd want to input a digital source and take advantage of the receiver's processing including the MCACC.

DJ

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Exactly. In analog direct mode the 45tx is only acting as a relatively expensive volume control when used with separate amplification.

I don't use separate amps with mine, but the receiver lets you bypass all the MCACC-derived equalization, leaving only the speaker level and distance settings that one could pretty easily do manually. The sound quality is much better with the equalization engaged.

If I'd had a thousand dollars or so worth of test equipment I could have duplicated this equalization with the Sony ES given enough time. The Pioneer did it all by itself in about 3 to 5 minutes.

This self-calibration would also work if using the 45tx as a pre-pro.