Outlaw 950 vs Denon 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomH, Jul 19, 2001.

1. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Based on what we know about the Outlaw 950 which will not be available until October, How would the 3802 used as a pre/pro compare? Features and cost are similar.
    Also,
    The Outlaw update for July is up.
    Tom

2. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Couple of questions for you...
    I noticed on Outlaws website that the 1050 is referred to as a "Digital A/V Receiver", while the new Outlaw Model 950 is a "Preamp/Processor". I'm a bit confused (but I usually am anyways). What's the difference?
    Aren't they both "receivers"?
    Thanks.
    Ed

3. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

This is the big question. I've been researching entry separate pre/pros and keeping in mind the Denon 3801/2.
    So far, I'm still waiting on the Outlaw 950. Software upgradeable, full analog bypass, 24/192 DACS, and all the latest processing should be very hard to beat in the under $1000 price range. Heck, almost all the under $2000 pre/pros have some caveats attached to them, and most had spotty reliability/quality control/software bugs in the first year or so of being offered, some of those issues still haunt them.
    I hope Outlaw can avoid these early issues. In fact, with my help as a beta tester (Outlaw hint), I'm sure they can..... [​IMG]
    Ed,
    No, the 950 does not have amplifiers. This is the difference between a receiver (with built in amps) and a pre/pro where you have to use external amps.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org
    [Edited last by Steve_D on July 19, 2001 at 07:10 PM]

4. TomH

TomH Second Unit

The 1050 is a receiver which includes 5 channels of amplification for $499.00. The 950 is a preamp/processor which is similar to a receiver without the onboard amps. Note that the 950 will be priced at around $900. which would imply better quality than the pre/pro used in the 1050. The 950 also has a more current feature set.
    For example, the Denon 3802 is a Receiver with a full feature set and pre-outs. You can use it as a pre/pro by connecting to an external amplifier and bypassing the onboard amps. Due to mass production efficiency and high sales quantities the Denon pre/pro section may be nearly comparable to the Outlaw 950.
    Tom

5. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

I'm sure we'd all be surprised at how many people are using the Denon 3801 as a pre-pro. It is great sounding and has all of the latest "do dads". Except DPL2, which will be in the 3802.
    I know many a Denon 3300 is being used as a pre-pro.

6. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Are the 3801 and 3802 considered 6.1 or 7.1 receivers?
    What is required for DVD-A?
    Tom

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Yes they are both 6.1 or seven speaker capable receivers.
    You need a DVD audio player.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

DVD-A requires a preamp or receiver with a 6 channel analog input.
    The 950 will have this, as does the 3801/3802 (and the 3300 as well). I am unsure as to how the 950 will handle bass management of the 6-channel analog signal.
    Todd