What's new

Outlaw 950, take three... (1 Viewer)

Harris_M

Auditioning
It's sort of amazing that Legairre and others seem not to be reading the message from the Outlaw's carefully enough:

They said that people with existing units can either have their own unit repaired or they can be sent a refurbished unit.

They NEVER said that they would send refurbs to people who were buying a new unit. People buying a new unit will get, DUH, a new unit.

TO follow Legairre's analogy: You buy a car, there is something about it that needs to get fixed. You bring it in, they fix it, you get it back. That's exactly what the Outlaws are doing, except that they're also giving you the option of getting an identical "car" with indentical "milage" if you don't want to be without your car while it is being repaired.

Bill and David got it, some just don't. David seems to have it right: Some people don't WANT to hear the truth.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, the 950 (with hiss) should fall under the 30-day gaurantee. They sent it out with hiss problems. Is it the (950) owners fault that it took more than 30 days to fix the unit? Automobiles are much different that A/V components.

If it were me, I'd push for a new unit or my money back.

Some people will go for anything!!

Bill Polley

Second Unit
And some people think that the world owes them everything. When you buy a product, you are making a choice. Usually you research and test drive a product before buying. In this way, you get a feel for it and then decide if it is what you are looking for. Outlaw is an Internet based company. Unlike Rotel, which has dealer showrooms to allow a "hands on" way of deciding, Outlaw offers a 30 day IN HOME trial period. During this time, owners can decide that this is an outstanding piece of equipment or something that rivals a YORX boombox. If you buy a car (at least in WI) you have 72 hrs to return it for a full refund. I would love to see someone go into a car dealership, a McDonalds, a clothing boutique, or any other store after 3 to 5 months and say "hey, I decided that this is not as good as I hoped it would be, I want a new one or my money back". Manufacturers warranties are very clear on how long the terms are for and what they will do. Return a Panasonic DVD player or a Sony receiver after this amount of time and see what happens. Outlaw is offering a fair and decent fix to a problem, yet people still want MORE MORE MORE. I have a 3 and 5 yr old that can get like this. I sincerely hope that none of the complainers on this topic ever accidentally bump another car at 3 mph in a parking lot and get sued for $200,000 for damages, mental and emotional trauma, loss of income etc. It happens in America every day and it is wrong. It is also wrong to take advantage of a company's misfortune to get a freebie. The offer is not only fair, it is above and beyond what at least 98% of other companies would do in similar circumstances.

dave alan

Second Unit
i don't know about anyone else, but researching a pre/pro (modes, chipsets, connects, company policies, bang for buck, features, remote, reviews, bugs, etc., etc.) has been more exhausting than any purchase i've made in recent memory.

i've been waiting for the 950 for .5 years! in that span of time, i've tried to find a comparable unit, like everyone else, but there simply isn't one.

price, features, warranty, ( 5 years parts and labor!!??), reviews from current owners, price, oh...and price.

outlaw audio is a great idea, and a welcome option, to me, as a company to buy av gear from. one price...one way to buy it...want one?...click here. no games, no endless shopping, no b-stock, no refurbs.

the current offer to existing owners is one i've personally never seen before. normally, it would be: send your hisser back and we'll fix it and send it back. you wait however long it takes and you pay the freight.

so, if any current user finds the outlaw offer unacceptable, i understand. just tell outlaw to send ME the "refurb" unit next week and i promise to send whoever it is a nice thank you card.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have no stake in this discussion, being an Anthem owner. It does seem to me however that Outlaw is offering fair and reasonable options.

What's the beef? Your unit has hiss, send it in and get it fixed. Don't want to wait for repair? They will send a replacement unit right away. The replacement unit may not be "brand new" but so what. If it is the cosmetic equal to yours, sonicly superior having been repaired and with warranty where is the problem.

IMHO, get the replacement unit ( as it is likely the fastest option ) put in your AV rack and enjoy.

Wayne

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Good point on mentioning something I forgot, Wayne. Outlaw has offered to reset the warranty to 5 yrs on the replacement units. That is hard to top.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
We will re-build those units to current specifications and hold them in reserve for service replacements
As an owner of a Marantz AV560U and dreaming of the day I may own one of these higher end pre/pro's, I have to say that Outlaw has been MORE than fair in their replacement policy. From the two quotes above, I get the impression that Outlaw has taken factory units they have on hand and Re-built them to spec to fix the problem. These are the units that owners of hissing 950's can get if they want to replace their unit. Note Outlaw is willing to ship this unit too you before you send yours back and will begin your warranty period from the date shipped. Then the units that Outlaw receives will be used for future service replacements. In my opinion a very top notch warranty policy. Certainly not a joke.
Kevin

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
If the "fools" are being "ridiculous" because they are "sticking their patient, loyal customers with a refurbished product", then maybe you were a fool for holding on to your unit when you had a 30 day money-back warranty. If your unit was so bad, you should have returned it right away.
No, I was smart enough not to jump on the Outlaw bandwaggon in the first place. Seeing/hearing is believing, and I haven't seen/heard anything that would make me want to do business with them. What is it now, 1.5 years since the fantastic 950 was to be released? And they still don't have it right. Meeting schedule is part of running a successful business. Yet fools like you with your blinders on continue to praise Outlaw. I just don't get it.

-Dave

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I was smart enough not to jump on the Outlaw bandwaggon in the first place.
Yet fools like you with your blinders on continue to praise Outlaw. I just don't get it.
Thanks for contributing to the thread Dave. Your input has been valuable and very helpful. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Please either stick to discussing the hardware, and not on who's attained "fool" status (by whatever subjective criteria that is bandied about), or leave this thread to those who want to keep to the original topic and free of personal attacks.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
No offense meant to anybody but the 950 has been discussed to death and nothing new has come of it.
There is nothing new to discuss, same ole, same ole.
I'm sick of skipping over the "outlaw" threads and I'm sure many others are too. This outlaw thread brings NOTHING to this forum.
There is an Outlaw forum. Go post there!
I'm sick of reading about the same crap here and obviously so are many others based on the direction these threads always take here.
Of course this is my opinion and isn't directed at any one person, simply towards a certain subject where the outcome is always the same (here).
I'd be happy to read a post stating something new (I got one, it sounds great, etc), just not the same old BS.
Opinions vary, this is just mine.
:)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I'd be happy to read a post stating something new
Yeah, like whether or not the problem has been fixed, what caused the problem, how the Outlaws are going to handle their existing customers and how their warranty period will be effected. That is the sort of thing that should be brought to everyone's attention! ;)
This is a forum to discuss HT related topics. The Outlaw 950 and other products fit the description. Sometimes skipping threads is just something you have to do. Of course, if you were really skipping Outlaw threads you wouldn't have posted to this one, would you? ;)
The 950 meets some peoples needs and budget, not everyone's. But if someone likes it and is willing to wait in order to save some money (or if they have a unit with no problems) then good for them. Having heard a 950 at a friends house I am seriously considering it. And knowing what is new with the Outlaws is very beneficial to me. If you don't like Outlaw, that's fine. If you never want to buy from them then that is fine too. However, there are those of us that are interested. Please let us be without flaming us or the company that we choose to support. It hurts my feelings. :frowning:
:D :D
Regards,
Dan Hine

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hey Brian- No one *forced* you to click on the link for this thread... That's *my* opinion... :)
BTW, in case you *don't* know, there are at least 2 people who have the final-"hiss"-fixed version. Outlaw has already outlined the process whereby current owners can get one of the fixed ones.
That seems new to me...

TomH

Second Unit
For those who continue to bash Outlaw.

1. They are standing behind their product.

2. There is still nothing that is even close to its price/performance.

3. Problems and bugs with the first production run of anything should be no surprise. The 1066 also had and continues to have its share of problems.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
just not the same old BS
Brain,

Don't know if you have noticed but this forum and others have become a place of repetitive questions.(Not that I'm complaing, as I visit here everyday and still come back for more). Not only about the Outlaw 950, but about "which amp", "which receiver", etc, etc. There is only so many topics that can be covered before everything repeats. That being said, I think it is important that this topic is kept upto date especially for those who are new to the forum who maybe looking for answers and don't use the search function. Even I rarely search before posting a new question to see if its been asked before. Its nice to have a fresh set of opinions everytime. And if I don't like a topic I ignore it.

Kevin

dave alan

Second Unit
i'm on the list and until i have the 950 in my rack, i'll be reading every post. for that matter, i'll be reading every posting soon after, too.

like the 1066 thread isn't longer than interstate 40.

the point is, if the thread interests you, you read it, if not, you don't.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 950 and I've had it in my system for something like 5 months with no problems, hiss or otherwise.
The point is, I know if I do have a problem with my 950, Outlaw will take care of me, period.

geo

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have been following the Outlaw story (debacle? ;) ) for the last year or so.
I would have given up a long time ago if I ever actually intended to get this product (I was still entry level back then) as there as simply no excuses for missing deadlines so often. The bullshit of being late so they could get it right is OLD. Thousands of companies get it right without such horrendous delays.
HOWEVER,
If I had taken the plunge and ordered one of those, I would consider this exchange policy a fair deal. I simply don't see what the problem is with reassembling the unit at the factory. It means didly squat to me, as long as it looks new, functions as new, and the warranty is intact.
Really, it's way to late to be bitching now.
Last, while I agree that no one forced anyone to click on threads (huge pet peeve of mine), I think there should be an official Outlaw thread. Can you imagine what the movie section would look like without the Official Star Wars thread? :eek: But then again, I have a feeling the absence of such an obvious necessity has to do with rules of advertising.
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks