What's new

Outlaw 950 Specs - Analog/Impedance (1 Viewer)

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Outlaw has listed the following specs for the 950...

ANALOG

Frequency response: 10 Hz - 90 kHz: +0, -3 dB (Bypass Mode)

Signal to Noise Ratio: 102 dB (Bypass Mode)

Distortion: 0.0038% (20 Hz ~ 20 kHz) (Bypass Mode)

Input sensitivity / input impedance: 200 mV/ 47kohms

Rated output: 1V(0dB gain in Bypass Mode)

Does anyone know how to interpret the rated output? 1V seems low. I assume in analog bypass, max 2V in will give me max 2V out.

I would also love to know the output impedance of the outlaw... and its capability to run long interconnects.

Thanks...

BruceD

Screenwriter
Mark,
Here is some info from the AT version of the 950, and I expect the 950 to be the same:
  • - Large Toroidal Transformer Power Supply For Low Noise And Excellent Dynamic Range
    - 18,000mfd Of Main Power Supply Capacitance (Some 100 Watt/Channel Stereo Receivers Have Less Than This!)
    - Main Power Supply Is Physically Shielded From All Low Level Circuitry
    - Multiple Locally Regulated Power Supplies In Addition To The Main Regulated Supply To Isolate Analog, Digital, And Video Processing Circuits
    - All Input/Output Switching Circuitry Is Located Directly Adjacent To The Rear Panel For Minimum Cross Talk And Noise
    - All Input/Output Switching Circuitry Is Electronic To Maximize Signal Purity And Further Reduce Cross Talk And Noise
    - All Inputs And Outputs Are Buffered, Which Isolates Them To Reduce Potentially Detrimental Sonic Impact From Cable Variations, Differences In The Impedances, And The “Load” Presented By Connected Components

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I think the 10-90 is pretty valid. I also thought most people are lucky to hear beyond 15khz... never mind 20 (I think you can hear the harmonics of the upper frequencies... but not the frequencies themselves... and I will shut up now before I display my ignorance any further ;-).

I would love to see the answer to my original question. The 1V number makes little sense to me...

mark.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have to agree with Kevin here. That -3 dB spec can be ANYWHERE within the stated frequency range. A -3 dB anywhere below 20KHz will be noticeable in many systems.

Michael

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That -3 dB spec can be ANYWHERE within the stated frequency range.
Or the whole range could be swinging back and forth between 0 and -3 (which is a hypothetical situation and very unlikely to be true).

I like equipment which gives a +/- 3dB spec, as well as a +/- 0.5dB or +/- 0.25dB spec - the first gives you an idea of how far the frequency response extends, and the second gives you an idea of exactly how flat the response is within that range.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't +0, -3dB over the 10Hz-90kHz frequency range equate to +/- 1.5dB over 10Hz-90kHz ?

In this case the spec simply indicates that the response does not deviate in an emphasis + position but simply drops to -3dB by the time it reaches 90kHz?

Quite unlikely it drops to -3dB all over the frequency range.

Yes, it would be nice to know if it was 20Hz-22kHz +/-0.5dB

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't +0, -3dB over the 10Hz-90kHz frequency range equate to +/- 1.5dB over 10Hz-90kHz ?
The end effect would be the same with a shift in volume level, yes. The two differ in what they're trying to say, though. Typically, you would measure frequency response as deviations from the expected output. For instance, let's say you have an amp which has 20 dB of gain. If you feed it an input signal, you expect the output to be 20dB higher. Then, you measure the actual output, and report the deviation from that expected 20dB. However, you're right, because the absolute range of the deviations is the same, so you would get the same end result by shifting the input signal down by 1.5dB.

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it would be nice to know if it was 20Hz-22kHz +/-0.5dB
Taking the -3dB bandwidth as 90 KHz, the drop-off at 20KHz is no worse than 0.2dB. This is assuming a single-pole roll-off, which is the gentlest roll-off commonly used. In real life, the roll-off is often faster, meaning the drop-off at 20KHz will be less than 0.2dB.

This, of course, is all academic. Not very likely that your speakers will be anywhere close to this kind of flatness in frequency response. OR your hearing, for that matter.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I agree. At the end of the day, all of this is marketing-speak, about what numbers they publish, and how they present them. Any halfway decent line stage will have frequency response that's orders of magnitude better than the best speakers, so it's totally a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks