What's new

Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro Reviewed!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Nice review Steven. I can't wait to get this piece in my home theater! Maybe it is fair to say once again that the wait is yet again almost over;)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Steven,

Nice review. I am glad the people who waited so long will be happy. btw, you had the outlaw and MC1 at the same time to a/b?

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
I failed to ask: Steven, which processor do you plan on keeping, the Lex MC-1 or the Outlaw 950 or both and why?

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent review Steven!! I've been waiting for this for a while so I can decide between the 950 & the Rotel.My decision has just been made;)
Thanx,Wayner

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Nice review!

Comparisons between licensed DTS-ES matrix/Dolby Digital EX, and CES 7.1 DSP modes engaged?? Those reviews so far seem sketchy at best. Could you clarify that point?

Obviously, if a DVD has a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track, then you'd want ES Discrete decoding engaged. I wouldn't think you could employ CES over the top of ES Discrete since it seems to me like CES has matrix derived back channels similar to the operations of DTS-ES matrix and DD EX matrix. That would defeat the purpose of having the back channel as a discrete presentation. Unless CES works differently than what I'm thinking.

Dan

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Obviously, if a DVD has a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track, then you'd want ES Discrete decoding engaged. I wouldn't think you could employ CES over the top of ES Discrete since it seems to me like CES has matrix derived back channels similar to the operations of DTS-ES matrix and DD EX matrix. That would defeat the purpose of having the back channel as a discrete presentation. Unless CES works differently than what I'm thinking.
Dan,

How many discrete dvd's are out there now???

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Steven,
Like 15 tops and realistically I doubt we will sound double that many in the next year tops. It's dead just nobody wants to admit it ;)
Glad you are enjoying your 950 as it looks like a winner although I won't be buying one.

W

Will

The 950 is not out widely (although it's supposed to be, any day, of course) and there is no consensus that the 950 is better than the MC1. It's a matter of personal opinion. Some people have said they like the Denon 5800 pre/pro section better than the Lexicon DC2. :)

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
I guess i really cant go wrong with a DC2 anyways... I cant as of yet use logic7 in its true application with 7 speaks. Perhaps down the road ill pick up the Outlaw and compare them for myself at that time.

J

John Morris

Brian: Please don't shoot me :), but I liked the 950 better than the Lex DC-2 that I had in my HT for a few weeks. I also had an MC-1(for only 2 days) in my HT immediately after the DC-1 and although I did not do an A/B, I felt that the MC-1 sounded slightly less grainy than the DC-2. As for comparing the Lex MC-1 to the 950, I really can't give an absolute opinion on that since I really didn't have the MC-1 long enough, yet, my guess is that it would be a nice shootout. Of course, the Lex's have Logic 7 processing(very nice IMO)while the 950 offers analog bypass, 5.1 DVD-A/SACD inputs, and a tuner.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
One of these days, I can bring my MC1 over to Steven's place for the toe-to-toe showdown with the Outlaw :)
I think my previous Onkyo 989 was similiar in sonics and detail with the MC1. However, Logic7 is better than DPL2. And Logic7 overlayed on 5.1 dd/dts is a little better than discrete 6.1, and noticeably better than standard 5.1 and matrixed 6.1 (with dual rears engaged on the Onkyo).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Steven,
So did ALL the bugs get fixed from the earliest units?
Have you found any other flaws or things you would change with the unit?
Could this be the perfect unit at the right price???

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
One thing you will NEVER have with the 950 is tweakabilty. The sound you get is what you get, no changing for room issues etc. plus no enhancements (bass enhance, vocal enhance, tilt, panarama angle settings, re-eq, 5 channel enhance, front channel independent distance, thx, surround rolloff).

I'm glad the 950 has great sonics, but I have always felt that the 950 would match the lex sonically. Thats only a portion of what some people want in a pre-pro. Plus music logic is the best multichannel music mode I have heard. Not to mention logic 7 for digital sources such as dd and dts. Again it comes down to preferences and how much your willing to pay for these features.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Steven,

Would you please tell us your main, center and surround speakers -3dB low frequency specs and the xovers you have set for each them on the 950?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Steven- Got to admit, that I was a little nervous when you began the review with the Sony VCR and 22 gauge wire... :D
Quick, stupid, simple question: can you engage the CES mode with DTS 5.1 material? If so, what changes on the display?
Thanks!!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have found that the triple crossover is just a mask for inadequate subwoofers.
I would almost bet that Steven uses 80hz THX :) and basing that on the fact he has dual SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks