Outlaw 950. Plan B?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomH, Sep 8, 2001.

1. TomH

TomH Second Unit

For everyone who has been patiently waiting for the Outlaw 950, what is your second option or Plan B should the unit not meet expectations of face more delays?
    Tom

2. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Get a Denon Receiver and use it as a pre/pro.
    ------------------

3. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

Maybe the new Rotel or Sherwood preamps to be released early next year? I did try the Denon 3802 as a preamp and didn't like it, the Parasound 1800 and the Sony TA-E9000ES preamps were both much better soundwise.
    And how about the Marantz 9000 or the B&K 30 ( much more expensive though) preamps?
    I wonder when there's going to be some news regarding the Outlaw preamp.
    Razvan

4. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Tom,
    I'm not sure what I'll consider if the 950 is massively delayed or doesn't live up to my hopes. But to be honest, purchasing even the 950 may well have to be put off since I just paid a downpayment to have a house built this fall and discretionary funds are tighter than I've been used to. [​IMG] Of course, the new house will have a dedicated HT room, so that's all the more reason to go forward with a 950 or some other Pre/Pre ... argh!! Obviously, considering my situation, cost will be a big factor in any choice. Decisions, decisions!! [​IMG]
    Razvan,
    I don't know if you saw the "Updated Outlaw FAQ due week of 9/11" thread in which there's a brief message that one of the Outlaw board members asked me to post for him last week since he's at CEDIA. But here's the entire quote:

5. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

Let's wait for the Outlaw news then.
    Razvan

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Plan B? I wish I had one. I'm starting from scratch and planning on separates. I was banking on the 950 (assuming timely and not a bust) and thus putting more money into my speakers and amp(s). I just can't afford an expensive pre/pro. Since I've already been 9 months planning and room upgrading, as soon as my drapes arrive (late Oct, early Nov)I want to be selecting equipment.
    All fingers and toes crossed.
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Let's rephrase this thread a little. What if the 950 wasn't even being built. What would you buy now? I would have to say the Sony,B&K Ref20 or even the HK processor. Actually, I have an Adcom GFP750 2-channel pre and am using the Technics 500 processor for movies. I could've bought any of the more highly regarded pre/pros but figured I would pass the savings on to my amps, speakers, room acoustics and software. I would like to experiment with 6 or 7.1 but am in no hurry since the software catalog is still premature(atleast in my eyes) and can wait. So 5.1 is still good enough for me and with that conclusion, I realized that there are many excellent 5.1 pre/pros that can be had for a steal but the key is if you feel that "state of the art" performance still can be found using 5.1 technology that is roughly 2 years old.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

8. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

9. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Just yesterday I was auditioning Tag & Meridian 568 - great thanks to folks from Ultimate Audio in Wilmingtown, DE. Imagine a room with a choice of: Integra RCS-7, Lexicon MC-1 and MC-12, Meridian 568, Tag AVR32R, Theta Casa Nova ( I probably still missed something - there was a Classe unit as well), feeding Theta Dreadnought into 5 Martin Logan..
    Back to the topic - looks like audio shops around the country will have quite a few used MC-1 (from upgrade program); we were talking about pricing around 2300-2400 for a used MC-1 with latest software. Currently MC-1 can be found (Audiogon) for about 2700. This will push prices of other units even more down - I would expect used Parasound 2500U to go into 1200-1400 range. The only one which holds value much better is Meridian 568, but it is only one with DPL-II.
    For my purposes I will certainly try MC-1, after I udd/upgrade speakers.
    Zbigniew

10. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

I have been checking out that NAD Silver series stuff for a while but too bad it is out of my price range. Onecall has the Acurus Act3-ABM on for 799.00. True it is only 5.1 but it looks like a real steal at that price.

11. TomH

TomH Second Unit

John,
    It looks like the new NAD has everything except DPL2. Probably due to the Motorola DSP. Same reason B&K has not announced an upgrade for the Ref 30.
    The new Rotel looks interesting but it will not be out until next year.
    Tom

12. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

TomH,
    Do you have any preliminary info on the Rotel? Or a URL?
    My plan B is the B&K Ref 30, used.
    Thanks, Bob

13. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

What about the Marantz AV9000? Seems like a nice preamp and can be had online for about $1400.

14. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Well let’s say money was no object. Is there a Pre/Pro out now or will be out very soon that has: DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPL-2, THX-EX, 7.1 etc.....
    You know all the current surround sound offerings…..
    Maybe with balanced outputs?
    Is there such a beast????
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

15. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Since the ice has been broken to discuss units in a slightly higher price category...
    Actually, the Integra Research RDC-7 does "have it all", including balanced outputs on all eight channels, and DP II which available right now on units shipping today and via a user-do-able upgrade for units that shipped earlier. The singular exception to its incredible list of high end features is bass management beyond the THX-standard of 80 hz. It sticks to the THX standard, for now. But it does everything else so well, and sounds so damned good, it is still a contender despite that so-called "Achilles heel".
    And it lists at $4,000, which is reasonable, considering its quality and versatility. That price is perhaps multiples more than the Outlaw pre/pro will reportedly cost, but a lot less than the very high end units the RDC-7 has been compared against.
    Stereophile Guide to Home Theater put this unit in their top category (AAA) along with two far more expensive Meridian units in their Recommended Components list in the March 2001 issue, and gave it a very favorable review the month before: http://www.guidetohometheater.com/showarchives.cgi?8
    The Perfect Vision also liked it, calling it "affordable state-of-the-art" (read the review in the Sept/Oct 2001 issue of buy a downloadable copy at their site): http://www.theperfectvision.com/
    And of course more details are available from Integra Research: http://www.integraresearch.com/articles.cfm?id=12
    The Integra Research RDC-7 is definately worth a look and listen, even if it is a stretch for the budget. (I had to cough a few times :>) but finally handed over the plastic and am really glad I have a pre/pro of this caliber in my system.)
    Enjoy!
    Burke
    [Edited last by Burke Strickland on September 10, 2001 at 06:13 PM]

16. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

If money is not a problem...
    Meridian 568 (6 k$) or 861 (9-18 k$);
    Lexicon MC-12 (~8 k$)
    Theta Casa Nova II
    Tag McLaren AVR32R (4.5 k$, will be expanded);
    Meridian and Lexicon & Tag offer DPL-II; Meridiat (trifield), Lexicon (Logic 7) offers also proprietary 7 channel processing.
    Then you can always order one of a kind, with Room correction from TACT..
    Back to my nicely broken-in Paradigms...
    Zbigniew

17. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    So Burke, you say you have one of these beasts?
    I found this part of the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater review very interesting:
    "I found that the balanced XLR outputs yielded another step up in the realistic presentation of the music. With the unbalanced outputs, the sound wasn't as distinct—voices were thin, and while the drums sounded full, I just couldn't hear the stick hit the drumhead as clearly. With the balanced outputs, the environment of the performance was more apparent, transients were im-proved (I could really hear a better pressure wave; not louder, but more distinct), and the entire experience was as live as I've heard in my new sound room. Even the surround soundfield was more inclusive and involving. I became a believer in balanced outputs."
    Could you lend me your RDC-7 so I can try in with my QSC EX pro amps that have balanced inputs??? [​IMG]
    I may just have to check one of these units out!
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

18. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

That glowing "review" of balanced outs truly upsets my stomach. Just my opinion, of course.

19. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

What is a good street price to pay for the Integra Research RDC-7 ??
    Any dealers who do mail order, or Internet dealers for this jewel??
    -- John
    ------------------

20. Jack Lee

Jack Lee Extra

Plan B?
    Blame the LAPD. Worked for some other outlaws.
    Oh, MY plan B, not Outlaw's ...
    (Sorry. My wife is a lawyer in LA. Plan B usually means something else to me.)
    "If it doesn't ship, you must re-equip."
    Probably a Tag.
    [Edited last by Jack Lee on September 12, 2001 at 10:07 PM]