Outlaw 950 Owners - Must Read - Another Bug?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnKings, Mar 7, 2003.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

These messages are causing quite a stir on the outlaw message boards:

"I bought my first DVD with a DTS-ES 6.1 discrete soundtrack."Lord of the Rings" extended verison.Upon viewing,I noticted my sub's had no output. I had front speakers set at "Large", I switched them to "Small" and the sub had normal output.I then changed over to the DD-EX verison w/fronts at large and the LFE channel had normal output.
    My 950 responded to the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 soundtrack by displaying this format and processing the signal w/o LFE but it did not catch the DD-EX flag only displayed DD 5.1,I had to manually set the 950 to Dolby-EX.
    So, is the DVD defective or has anyone else had this problem with decoding DTS-ES?
    Thanks if anyone can verify"

"I did further comparison between DTS-ES &
    DD-EX,I don't think my 950 outputs the .1 channel(LFE) at all in DTS-ES 6.1 discrete.
    The only sub activity is from the redirected bass when fronts are set to small.
    DTS-ES 6.1 discrete seems to be at fault.
    The "LFE" functions properly in all other modes."

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

2. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't anyone own a 950 around here?

3. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Saw your clone thread at AVS forum. What a shame that this bug has only now been found, this late in the game. Seems there is many owners affected at AVS. Doesn't look good for the small company.

Good luck with a resolution.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

It looks there is a reply from Scott. So the Outlaws are looking at it.

Joe

6. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Not being software upgradable makes it that much harder to solve an issue like this.

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Quote "I'd be curious if the Rotel has the same problem. Uses the same Cirrus DSP chip. Amazing that no one caught it until now."

I and two other 1066 owners over at Club Rotel just tested ours and they seem to work fine. so it dosen't seem to be the chip. [​IMG]

8. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

The following is a copy and paste from a review by Jeff Van Dyne at Home Theatre Sound...

"The Model 950 didn’t immediately recognize the Dolby Digital Surround EX stream from Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones, but defaulted to standard Dolby Digital instead. Switching in EX processing manually worked just fine, and served to expand the soundfield with added depth and realism"....

The full review can be found at:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...outlaw_950.htm

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I don't think Attack of the Clones had the DD EX flag. They dropped that after Dolby has some problems with the encoding machines. Now that they're fixed, it seems like most studios are still not using the EX flag.

I have a "second generation" Model 950 that was made before the "red dot" third revision. It plays the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track on the Fellowship of the Ring DC just fine. TONS of bass here!

Dan