What's new

Outlaw 950 - no pics? (1 Viewer)

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Outlaw was supposed to post pics of their new preamp on their site this week. No pics there as of today... Maybe the beta units aren't in yet?
Razvan

Kevin T

Screenwriter
here's a preliminary pic i found on someone's site:
950.jpg

here is the site where you can find more pics of the 950, 770, and ICBM:
http://members.home.net/ranelks1/outlaw2.htm
kevin t
[Edited last by Kevin T on November 02, 2001 at 02:14 PM]
[Edited last by Kevin T on November 02, 2001 at 02:14 PM]

W

Will

Those pictures are as I understand it, from the
Home Enterainment Expo in New York City held way
way back in May 2001.
That was six months ago.

J

John Morris

Anyone even know if they have completed their notification of the 950 beta testers? I've been holding off on buying a nice used B&K Reference 30 on the long shot chance that I'd get picked to beta test a unit....???
Maybe the beta units coming over from Asia fell off the boat?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll know until they are actually done with the beta trial. Can you imagine the grilling if someone actually answered? Speculation would run rampant that the answer guy is one of the trial participants. I would have to guess that the trial participants won't be able to say anything related remotely to the 950. If I was Outlaw, I'd put the gag order on.
Probably the only way to do this is to state it on the Outlaw website that the chosen 5 have been picked and have units in their hand. Maybe there will be another update next week when they post the most updated pics. Not crazy about the green buttons but that seems to be a trademark item for Outlaw.

J

John Morris

Bob: Actually, the green button and logo is more of a blue-green color in real life. It doesn't look too bad. I'm sure that any beta testers have signed a confidentiality agreement. At least that is standard when beta testing software. However, a company notice sure would have been nice, rather than keeping all of us on hold. It doesn't seen to hard to simply post: "The beta participants have now all been notified. Thank you to the over 300 of you who applied. Following the beta test, if all goes as planned, we will post the pre-order form for the 950."
There I just typed it and it only took me a minute or so... :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

J

John Morris

Craig: What upgrade to what new format are you worried about? As I understood it, it was gonna include every available format including a logic 7 type format called Cirrus Surround. What upgrade were you referring to?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe Craig was referring to a potential upgrade to DPL3 once Dolby releases DPL3?
Razvan

J

John Morris

DPL3? Wow, and I thought that they just released DPL2?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Yes but don't you think that in a year or two there is going to be a DPL3? Then Outlaw could charge $50 or so and upgrade the 950 to DPL3.
Razvan

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Craig: Upgradability? Geez, whattya expect for $899? I don't know of any pre/pro coming out in the next year at that that price point which will be 100% upgradable. Be realistic. If you want upgradability, go with the new Integra RDC-7, Lexicon MC-12, Meridian 568(?), B&K Ref 30 (maybe?)...ooooops, oh yeah, they're $2k-$10k (street price) units!
Even then, upgradability is not guaranteed. Look at the owners of the Lexicon DC-2 and MC-1. A couple weeks ago there was a thread about those owners feeling cheated since Lex promoted upgradability for these units. The previous week, Lex confirmed that there are no planned upgrades to new formats for those two machines. Also look at some past threads on the B&K Ref 30's. No upgrades to DPL II yet and no confirmation on when. Some Ref 30 owners aren't happy.
People are getting a bit outrageous in their expections for the 950 so I had to say something.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Raz, that may be true IF Outlaw knew what is needed (processor, chipsets, add'l memory?) to upgrade to DPL3. I don't think anyone knows yet what's going to be required for DPL3 or the flavor of the month format/DSP.
Outlaw has put in everything they could given the current state of formats/DSPs w/o further delays. Are they missing anything major? Logic 7? Proprietary. That's the only thing that's out that I might be interested in seeing (hearing). Looks to me they have most of what people have been asking for the past 6 months or so since I've been following this HT hobby.
I hear what everyone's saying....delays, possible delays, where's the news on the beta testing, etc....I know I want to know, but we just have to be patient as it is very close now. What's another month? In a couple weeks, we should know when production units will be available and more.

W

Will

quote:
In a couple weeks, we should know when production units will be available and more.
What happened to the goal date of Thanksgiving?
That was the last goal date (in a series of goal dates).
[Edited last by Will on November 02, 2001 at 07:00 PM]

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking like others that there will be a short delay. It's going to be a very tough schedule to meet as it stands now. I can't imagine that with less than three weeks, the Outlaws can go through a beta test, receive feedback, incorporate the feedback and then ship production quantities. I worked for a VERY large router company and a start up company and believe me, they would have to work 24/7 or close to it to get all of this done in less than three weeks. But I hope they prove me wrong. Maybe in three weeks they will open up the 950 for orders but IMO unlikely to ship any quantity.
So it's just pure speculation on my part.

Randy G

Second Unit
I would think that the likelihood of upgradability on a unit this cheap is small, unless the upgrade is for a very minor feature...no way would they give ya anything like DL3 for $50-150 bucks. They know that most owners would likely sell their unit and buy the newer model since its only a $900 unit to begin with. Of course, they'll justify it by putting in other cool features as well.
The only thing that keeps me from buying the 950 is the lack of a Logic7(with STEREO rears) type feature for extracting 2 stereo channels for the rear back surrounds. That Cirrus surround thing only creates 2 mono channels for the rears...close, but no cigar. For the same $900-1000, I'll be getting a used MC-1 from a dealer friend of mine.
------------------

BruceD

Screenwriter
Randy,
If I'm not mistaken, DPL II provides discrete stereo rears.
Since the 950 comes with DPL II, doesn't that meet your needs?
Bruce

John Cain

Second Unit
If they do not guarantee me free upgrades to DPL 5, I want no part of it!!!
laugh.gif

crazy.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks