1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Outlaw 950, multichannel music, and comparisons of the Outlaw 770 to monoblocks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan Horvath, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Juan Horvath

Juan Horvath Auditioning

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in DVD-A and multichannel SACD will the 950 take the 4,5,or 6 channel recording and matrix it into 7.1? If that is the case consider me sold on the idea of the 950 and getting full range speakers all around.......
    Just a little side note, I heard that ATI is the one making the 770 amp. How good of a company is ATI? I also heard it is going to be set-up using monoblock "type" designs. How would these compare to the Marantz MA 500 and 700 monoblocks? Also, I will be running very efficient speakers, Klipsch RF7 mains, RC7 center and RF3 sides/rears.
    The RF7's have 102 sensitivity, the others in the upper 90's. Will 200wpc be overkill for these speakers? Would it be just as good to go with 125wpc monoblocks due to the high efficiency? I just seem to be full of questions today......
    Juan

2. Juan Horvath

Juan Horvath Auditioning

Anyone?

3. Juan Horvath

Juan Horvath Auditioning

Does anyone have an answer to any of my questions?

4. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

You should be directing your questions to Outlawaudio.com. We don't know that much about the 950 other than what is posted on their website. The amp will most likely NOT be made by ATI, but by the same factory spits both of them out.

5. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

There were couple of thread about outlaw 950 a while ago, do a search you might find some interesting stuff.

6. Nick_Gray

Nick_Gray Agent

Since "search" is usually disabled, I will tell you what I "know" about these Outlaw products.
    Matrix-ing high-resolution analog sources (DVD-A and SACD) would be a total waste of the benefits of those formats. You don't want to take a high-quality DSD or 24/192 PCM and redigitize it as lower quality PCM to do matrix effects; you might as well listen to regular CDs. One of the features the 950 boasts is "analog bypass" to prevent any digital processing of analog sources whatsoever. Beyond that, no one really knows what features the 950 will have; I only mention analog bypass because there is a button right on the faceplate so labeled.
    As for the 770, those who saw the demo unit earlier this year said it was not a monoblock design, like the Sherbourn and others, but rather had two toroidal transformers for powering 3 or 4 channels each (I would assume; it could be 2/5 for mains/surrounds-center). I heard somewhere that it will be made by ATI, like the 750. ATI seems to get pretty decent respect around here for it's price range. Some people accused the 750 of being a rebadged ATI 1505 (it isn't), others saying it was a crippled 1505 (up for debate, I have neither heard nor seen either). I do not believe that the 770 is even remotely based on any ATI designs.
    Outlaw is supposed to update their FAQ sometime this week; in light of recent events I wouldn't be surprised to find it delayed a bit.

7. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Outlaw is now saying they will be incorporating a new format called "crystal extra surround" into the 950. It will be 7.1 channel stereo. Sounds very interesting.
    Russ

8. Will

Will Guest

Does Outlaw know when their 770 amp will be available?