Outlaw 950 - Can it be used to trigger those Marantz Monoblocks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, Aug 29, 2001.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I thought I would post this as it's an issue that I have in buying the new Model 950 preamp. Maybe someone knows how the Marantz BUS system works.
    Hi Gary,
    I looked over the faxes you sent me. I can see how the Marantz Mono blocks are "daisy chained" together and triggered by a Marantz remote control signal. I am going to email Marantz and ask them if their remote control signal is a digital bit stream, a logic signal (on-off) or a trigger (12V) or something else. Once I get a response, I'll let you know.
    Just so you know, I do think we can come up with either a wiring solution or black box solution so you can use your Marantz power blocks with our new Model 950. This stuff isn't rocket science. I just don't know how Marantz does their switching (yet!).
    Best Regards, Tom
    Thomas E. Young
    Outlaw Audio www.outlawaudio.com
    [email protected]
    Outlaw Sales: 866-688-5297
    TEYoung: 866-688-5297 x 101
    Outlaw Support: 866-688-5292
    Outlaw Support: 866-OUTLAW2
    Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the fax. I will look at this further this weekend and contact you on Monday.
    Best Regards, Tom
    Hi Tom:
    Many audiophiles use the Marantz MA-500, MA-6100 or the MA-700 monoblocks in their systems. Some use a 12V trigger arrangement for turning them on/off, some just manually press the ON/OFF buttons.
    I was going to rewrite the Function & Operation info from the Marantz users manual, but I will fax it to you instead.
    This is basically a convenience feature that puts the monoblocks in a Standby mode, and permits remote ON/OFF functions of the amps when turning on your preamp.
    If the OUTLAW 950 could perform the same way as the Marantz products, (by providing a RCA IN/OUT type jack) it would be a nice selling feature.

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Gary:
    Thanks for doing the leg work with Outlaw on this issue. Having switched from a Denon 5700/Denon 8300/Smart Jr decoder to 7 separate Marantz 700 monoblock amps and (in the future) the Outlaw 950...I'm looking forward to resolving this issue.
    Right now I use two X10's to turn the amps on and off. I would love for the processor to tigger this function.
    Ron

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

For what it's worth, I'm also awaiting the 950 "Vaporware" to replace my Denon 5700 which is already supplemented by 3 Marantz M700 Monoblocks for the front soundstage. I currently (no pun intended) use a Monster 3500 to trigger the amps via the Monster's time delay outlets (daisy chaining the power to the Martantzes) and it works just fine. I would imagine that this will still work once the Outlaw 950 is installed.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I really hope Outlaw puts a switched outlet on the 950. My Sherwood AVP-9080 has two and I couldn't live without them. With two 9 volt adapters plugged into the outlets, my amps and cooling fans come on when the preamp is turned on.
    Jeff

5. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I found out (through reading some old postings) that Marantz uses the RC-5 protocol for this feature. I already passed this on to the Outlaws and they stated that they are working on this feature now. [​IMG]
    If your a candidate for the new 950, lets hear from you all, and we can pass this thread on to them to show that many are interested in their new preamp having this feature! [​IMG]

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

quote: I really hope Outlaw puts a switched outlet on the 950[/quote]
    The only caveat I would offer here is that you probably shouldn't use this switched outlet (if present) for your amplifiers, especially if they are high current amps. Marantz, for example, makes a point of telling you not to cascade more than two MA700s together for power purposes. I use the high current switched outlets on my Monster 3500 power center to handle the MA700s. I would not use any switched outlets on my Denon 5700. Nor do I expect to use any switched outlet on the Outlaw 950 for amp switching (unless, of course, if it is designed for high current devices).
    Whether this is a sonic consideration or a power consideration I'm not sure. I just did what I did because the outlets were available to me.
    Just something to consider.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

7. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Good point Robert! A solution that was posted once before will be my "plan B", if Outlaw cannot come up with the desired soluton. Being that the Model 950 will come with two 12V triggers, here is a suggestion that will allow use of the switched outlet(on back of the 950) along with a power strip:
    If you are in need of a power conditioner, you may check into one that has a 12V trigger on it. When I bought the monoblocks, I picked up a Niles iPower 6+ model($70 bucks I think). 4 of the 6 outlets are triggered and I have that plugged into an outlet on the back of my Denon 4800 and the amps are ofcourse plugged into the Niles. Now they fire right up when I turn on my Denon. Just a thought.
    As there are many ways to accomplish this like stated above, or using X-10 modules, or getting up and pressing the power button on the monoblocks [​IMG] it would be great to see this as a feature. [​IMG]

8. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

Robert,
    excellent advice on the non-use of the switched outlets to directly power the amps. in addition to possible sonic degradation, it is also a potential hazard.
    from his post, i'm pretty sure that Jeff is using the switched outlets to power 9V wall wart type power supplies that trips the power up relay in the amps.
    i'm doing something similar with my setup. my ACT-3 preamp doesn't have a switched outlet, but does have a 5VDC trigger. since my amp is looking for a 12VDC input, i use the 5V trigger to trip a solid state "relay" (opto-isolator) that switches the output of a 12V wall wart to the trigger input of my amp.
    Acurus uses a 5V out since they want you to purchase their expensive switched power strip.
    [Edited last by Craig Robertson on August 31, 2001 at 10:40 AM]

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Here is what the manufacturer of my ATI amps said when I asked them about plugging them into a power conditioner/surge protector.