Outlaw 950 Assistance - They say there are no dumb questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Souders, May 4, 2002.

1. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

So, I'm embarrassed, but I can not get my 950/770 combo to produce any sound. I'm using Paradigm speakers and subwoofer, all connected with Monster cable. I know the polarity is correct. I know the correct speakers are connected to the correct outputs. I know the correct output on the 950 is connected to the input on the amp. No sound.

No radio. No DVD. No test tones. The only sound is something turning on in the amp when I turn it on. I also do see the on screen display on my TV connected via S-Video. It is not on mute.

I feel totally stupid. Any obvious thing I'm missing?

ADditionally, when I pull the RCA cable out of the outputs on the 950, and touch the tip to the side of the same output, it produces a buzz in that particular speaker.

Chris

2. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Stupid response, but you said that your TV isn't on mute, are you sure that the 950 isn't? Do you see the volume move on the OSD?

Also, what set of outputs are you using for the 950 to the amp?

3. Chris Souders

Hi,

Sorry, I meant that the preamp was not on mute. Mute flashes the yellow light when it is on, it says it in the screen and on the TV OSD.

I am using the outputs labeled 'output', which are #17 in the rear panel pictograph in the instructions.. the "Amplifier Output Jacks"..

The volume indicator does change when I move the knob.. from -80 to above 0...

My speakers were working yesterday with a receiver.

Like I edited my post before, when I take the RCA connector and remove it from the output jack, then touch the tip of it to the output jack side, it causes a buzz in that speaker.

The amp and preamp are plugged into two seperate circuits.

Ummm.... I'm dumb. I first thought it was a setting in my DVD player, cause I am newly using a optical audio out, but I can't get any radio stations or static for that matter, nor can I get test tones via the instructions.

Chris

Chris

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Are you sure you've got the amp correctly hooked up to the 950? Maybe you accidentally plugged it into the 5.1 inputs into the preamp outs on the 950?

Off the wall but I thought I'd try.

5. Chris Souders

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

If you look in the instructions, version 1.2.5, on page 16, "Connecting an External Amplifier to the Model 950", I am doing exactly what is showed. The only difference is I do not have a Left and Right Surround Back, so those two inputs have nothing going into them, and the 950 outputs have nothing coming out of them.

Another thing I've noticed is that the S-video output is very poor. I have my S-video cable box going via S-video to the VCR, going S-video into the preamp, and then S-Video to my TV. The picture is poor.. .looks like a honeycomb effect, where on my 27 inch toshiba TV, even 6 feet away , I can see a definite diamond shaped pattern which overlays the whole screen. If I go VCR S-video output to the TV (skipping just the preamp), it is not there. This is on both VCR tapes as well as the VCR tuner.

This is not the arrival experience I was hoping for.

OK, so, I'm desperate. If someone in Houston wants to come over, and make it work, I'll pay ya 50 bucks.

Chris

6. brian a

brian a Second Unit

When you say reciever, do you mean the 950?

If you're video is bad as well, it sounds like it might have gotten a little banged around in shipping. Sounds like you're doing everything right. I guess you should call the outlaws.

I'm sure there's someone in Houston that can help you do a sanity check on it.

7. Chris Souders

When you say reciever, do you mean the 950?

Yea, oops.

Corrected my posts.

Guess I'll call Outlaw on Monday and see what they can do over the phone. Hate to have to repackage it all..

Chris

8. Allen F

Allen F Extra

Try a different cable. I wasn't getting any sound out of my right speaker at first, until I swapped a cheapo cable, between the processor and the amp channel, with one of the Outlaw cables. I think those heavy duty posts might need a really good connection. The cheapo cable still works with my other system.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Reagarding the S-video connection:The Outlaws had put a separate paper inside the manual,and stating on it that they don't recomend the S-video upconversion or passthrough,because of it's poor quality.This is the last quirk that they just couldn't work out I guess.

10. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Chris,

Based on what you have written here (since we are not looking at your set up as you write this) it appears that you might just have a faulty 950 or 770. I can't think of what you've done wrong without seeing the actual set-up (and, no, I'm not flying in from NY).

Do you have access to any other equipment (another receiver, for example) that you might be able to switch into your system to see if its the 950 or the 770 that is at fault? That might narrow down the problem a bit. I also would think that it wouldn't be your cables since that would only affect one channel, not all of them.

If nothing else pans out then a call to The Outlaws is definitely advised. They are usually extremely good at customer satisfaction.

And don't leave us hanging on this. We'd like to hear your progress in this matter.

Good luck.

11. Chris Souders

Hi,

Well, it doesn't seem to be the cables...I connected my two Outlaw interconnects to the front left and right and screwed em down tight and it makes no difference. No test tones or radio or DVD.

Unfortunately, I don't have another amp or preamp or receiver with preouts to swap with.

How else do you suppose I can try to isolate the problem as being a amp problem or a preamp problem?

Chris

12. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Maybe You could hook your cd player directly to the 770 two channels at a time to see if it's the culprit. Pick a very quiet cd tho as you will obviously have no volume control.:b

13. Bruce Cadotte

Bruce Cadotte Stunt Coordinator

to see if it is the amp use the audio outputs on the TV to the amp,make sure you turn the speakers off in the TV then you can use the volume control on the TV think of your TV as a analog pre-amp(make sure there is input going to the TV,like cable or something)

14. Chris Souders

Well,

Partially good news...

I did the tv trick and it worked. The TV audio outs connected to the amps produces sound. So, my amp seems to be working just fine.

My 950 is the problem.

At least it is lighter to send back.

Couple thoughts on another forum were 1)is tape monitor on? I don't know, I don't know where to look. It does not seem to say it or have a symbol of it anywhere.

Also, are the speakers set to on? Well, I dont' see an on/off switch, but under speaker setup they are all set to small, rear surrounds off, and crossovers at 80.

One question about the s-video signal to the tv.

Mine is direct s-video to TV. The blue screen that comes up as a background to setup. On my TV (only 27 inch Toshiba cinema series) there are VERY obvious lines running both horizontal and vertical throught the entire picture... spaced, oh, 2-3 mm apart. So really the whole screen looks like a checkerboard with tiny little boxes. IS this how everyone's is? It's obvious that I can count lines from the sofa 9 feet away on a 27inch TV.

All this leads me to wonder if it is defective or just damaged. The box externally was not damaged. Nothing in the cardboard/styrofoam to make me think it. Maybe I should shake it to see if anything rattles inside.

Anyone know Outlaw's policy on returns already? Hopefully, I'll get one sent to me in a day or two if telephone discussions aren't fruitful, rather than having to wait for this one to get back to them.

Here's hoping there's not something obvious I'm missing. Like the tape monitor, or the button which turns on and off the speaker output... I don't have multizone on, I am trying it with the radio and don't get static, the test tones don't work, and the cable are outlaw's own (the two front channels at least).

I was so happy friday afternoon...

chris

15. Chris Souders

Update,

Called Outlaw this AM of course.

There is no global speaker on/off.

There is no tape monitor.

They couldn't figure it out.

Shipping one out today.

Should have it tomorrow, maybe next day.

Good customer service as everyone reports.

I'll let ya know,

Chris

16. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Chris,

This is good news. Let us know as soon as you've put Unit #2 into your system. I'm hoping that this will solve the problem. If not, we have to go with "Plan B" whatever that is.

Fingers crossed for you....

17. Chris Souders

Hey,
    Good news.. my second 950 works just fine [​IMG]
    Now I'm happy
    As a side note to those who have dissected cats in high school or college... does the 950 freshly opened smell just like the cat cadavers? Not quite like the frog cadavers. Not quite like the human cadavers. I wonder what that smell is.. is there formaldehyde used in the processing of circuit boards or something?
    Chris

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest