Outlaw 950 and SACD ? from the manual

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Cole, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

After looking at the manual's picture of the back side of the 950 it looks to me like this unit only has 6 analog inputs. I own the Sony XA777ES SACD player and it requires 8 inputs to do both 2 channel and 5.1 multichannel listening.
    Can the CD input be selected internally(remote set up) to receive and pass analog 2 channel information?
    If not I will be off the list.[​IMG]

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Joe, from my understanding, all analog inputs on the 950 had the ability to use analog passthrough. So, what you would do would be to connect the 6 channel multi-inputs from the Sony to the Outlaw and simply use the analog L/R outputs for Redbook playback. I have the 555ES SACD player and it sounds like our setups would be remarkably similar, just using different hardware. If you were listening to a two channel SACD, you would use the L/R outputs of the multichannel outs, and switch the input on the 950 from CD to 6-CH or whatever they call it. I think you should be fine in this instance because that's exactly the configuration I have for my Anthem AVM-20. It has passthrough for all inputs, but only 6 channel multi-in. In fact, I think finding 8 channel multi-in's for SACD or DVD-A is still the exception these days rather than the rule. I think you should be fine for what you are trying to accomplish by getting the 950.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Joe,

I too have the Sony 555es and have it hooked up to the 950 the same way as Evan. I use the 5.1 multi channel hookup and then also use the input marked as CD for the seperate two channel output of the 555es. I setup the CD input to default as Bypass, and then all I have to do is select CD for CD and two channel SACD playback or Direct for MC SACD. BTW, my Sony 555es also sends 2 channel SACD signals through the 5.1 outputs as well. So, for me, setting up seperate inputs for MC and 2 channel SACD was not necessary. I am now using my 555es SACD 2 channel output to connect directly to my headphone amplifier.

Hope that helps!

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I haven't seen you on the Audio/Video Sources lately, but there has been a lot of discussion about SACD players there. How has the 'C555ES been treating you? How you like it with the Outlaw 950?

5. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Thank you gentleman for the helpful answer. I was hoping that the CD analog inputs could be set for by-pass to go with the 5.1 analog inputs.

Of course I signed up for the 950 very late. I figure mid-summer for me.

6. Derek Borowka

Joe Cole,

I think you are correct, I seem to remember reading on Audio Asylum where Demery (the SACD Sony Rep) indicated that if you wanted the XA777ES to be able to playback in stereo default mode you had to be able to connect all 8 analog connections. This was in contrast to the 555/222 line where the L/R doubled that function. I won't have my own XA777ES delivered till later this month so I won't be able to confirm this.

7. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

So Dereck what will you be hooking your new 777 up to? This one fine unit. Great for CDs as well! I am very happy with mine and I have it hooked up via an old Adcom pre amp. I have to swamp out the l/r cables when I want to play DVDs etc.