Outlaw 950 and Rotel 1075 AMP Review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott O'Keeffe, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Scott O'Keeffe

Scott O'Keeffe Stunt Coordinator

Well, let's call it a 1/2 review. [​IMG]

Two days after I order my 950 my Panny RP-91 takes a dump. It now will not play CDs or some DVDs, but will play some. Anyway, the 950 arrived and I hooked it up to the Rotel 1075 Amp. I figure let's at least see how it handles DTS, DD, and PCM. I was using a Denone 3300 as a pre-pro.

I started with the new Zeppelin DVD. Wow, I was pretty impressed from the get-go. Things seemed positioned better and the sound was fuller and cleaner comared to the Denon receiver. Then I put in Saving Private Ryan, DTS. Shit, I thought it sounded nice before, but this definitely took me aback. The outlaw was on -15db and the Rotel was singing. Jesus. Anyway, after some more tunes from other DVDs, switched over to DirecTV to try out PLII. That was nice as well, but the quality of DirecTV is just so compressed its really not a fair test until I can try CDs using PLII-M(usic).

So, like I said its a 1/2 of a review due to the fact that my beloved RP-91 needs to be fixed and sent to the bedroom.

Quote from the wife: "You could put the Panasonic after its fixed in the bedroom", followed by a slight pause.

She follows with: "Damn, I'm stupid for telling you that"

That all I needed to hear, WAF!!!

The Elite DV-45A arrives tomorrow. I will fill you in on some music feedback asap.I need to definitely cue up some DVD-Audio, SACD, and some redbooks to really test this baby out on music.

It definitely shines compared to my old set up in the H/T department. Really looking forward to testing the audio side of things.

Will post some updates!

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

congrats!Enjoy!

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

[​IMG] Funny how that happens. You have a very nice receiver and don't think things will change much, but it really surprises you how much better things can sound. When I moved to separates, my system turned from mundane to pretty dang impressive.

Congratulations. You did really well.

Two questions:

1. What speakers do you use?
    2. Why didn't you go with one of the Outlaw pre-pro/amp combos?

4. Scott O'Keeffe

I have B&W 602s2 for the front with a LCR S2 center, and JBL bookshelves for the rear. B&W AS500 sub.

Probably going to add 4 601s (2 to replace the JBLs and 2 new surround backs). Right now, of course, i'm just running 5.1.

I didn't go with a matched combo because I first bought the amp as I didn't have the bucks to get both. Figured I'd eventually get the Rotel 1066, but when outlaw dropped it another 100 bucks, I couldn't refuse. $600 difference now; my dealer wanted $1399 for the 1066. Plus, I figured I have 30 days w/ Outlaw if I don't like it, but I don't think I'm going to let Outlaw have it back. [​IMG]

Will update tomorrow when the Elite 45A arrives. (For those who care, laugh)

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

People CARE, it's just that not everyone posts.

Doesn't that Elite 45A decode audio as well? Could you post your impressions with the stereo bypass mode on the Outlaw 950?

If it's as good as the 950 decoding stereo PCM, then I'll be pretty much sold. I'm looking for good 2 channel sound from that prepro because my DVD player will be the weakest link.

6. Scott O'Keeffe

Okay. The 45A arrived and I proceeded to my music "tests". Boy, its a close one when I compare audio between the 950 and the 45A. Early impressions are that I like the digital 950 connection for audio at this point. Need more listening, but that's where I stand now. I'm using Monster Interlink 300MKII for interconnects. It seems you always lose a little volume with interconnects, so I'm trying to adjust for that and listen for overall clarity, but at this point it seems pretty damn close. It's nice to have two choices! [​IMG]

For redbook cd's, I used the analog crossover on the multi-channel inputon the 950 (fixed at 80Hz) for the 45A test when connecting via interconnects, and the digital crossover was set to 80hz for the digital coaxial connection to the 950. That's a fairly even playing field. The 45A is set to all large for speaker size. No playing around there. [​IMG]

The 950 is staying in the rack. It aint goin nowhere! I definitely like the way it mates with the Rotel. Funny after all the comparisons, I said screw and decided to get one of each. [​IMG]

I only tested DVD-A as I had the RP-91 previously, and it only has DVD-A, of course, so Best Buy will see me soon in order to test SACD. DVD-A was beautiful. I sampled the Eagles, Stone Temple, and Metallica's black album. The 45A and the Rotel meet 1/2 way here, wow.

All in all I'd have to say that I'm definitely glad I made the move to the 950. Sounds are definitely clearer and more pronounced, an overall clarity improvement, for sure. The 45A is definitely a nice complement.

Back to playing, and oh no, my tests for video on the 45A. This might be interesting...

As for audio, this player is definitely for real, especially considering the options you have.

7. Scott O'Keeffe

Double post.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Congratulations, I'm glad to hear that everything is nice and you're happy. Welcome to the 950 club. It's a nice place to be.