Outlaw 950 and 6 CH direct mode question...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Terry Flink, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

I recently got a Denon 2900 DVD (DVD-A/SACD) player which allows for 6 channel analog output. It is my understanding the "bypass" mode on the Outlaw allows for the purist audio signal. My question pertains to the audio portion of a DD or DTS DVD. What impact does this mode have on playback of the audio portion of movies encoded in DD or DTS?

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The 6ch input on the 950 isn't pure since the bass redirection[thogh at "off position the mains still receive full signals] operates in both position of the switch.
    I also have the 2900 and my conclusion is to use the digital connection for DVD-V.Denon suggests the same thing.I simply preffer the DD/DTS decoding/BM on the 950 over the 2900.

3. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Ah....thanks for the info

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Personally, I prefer the 2900 to do the decoding with the analog bass management engaged on the Outlaw. The reasoning for this is that I have bookshelf speakers all around, so the 80hz crossover on the Outlaw is ideal for my situation. Plus, the DACs in the 2900 are superior to the ones in the Outlaw. Another bonus is that there is no delay in signal lock when you go the direct route. Through the digital inputs, the Outlaw takes a second or two to do this.

My advice is to try both. You'd be surprised. The 80hz crossover works well with lots of floor standing speakers as well.