1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

OutLaw 950 alternatives for under $1K???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_N, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Tan_N

Tan_N Stunt Coordinator

What else is out there besides the OutLaw 950??

I've read alot of threads about people getting the

Anthem AVM 20 instead but it's $3500.

What Pre-Amp/Receiver is out there for under $1000 with

DPL II & DD EX & some sort of 7.1 inputoutput??

The Denon 3802 (is it worth the upgrade from the 2802?)

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Well, Tan, currently nothing. And, even though I'm a beta tester for the Outlaw 950 and have seen it in action, I have to state, in all fairness, that even the 950 is not "out there" yet to the general public, so the answer "nothing" has to be taken literally at the point in time.
    However, it should be no more than a few weeks before the unit starts shipping in at least small quantities (I understand that the remotes have been finalized and are in the process of being manufactured to Outlaw's specifications.)
    And when that happens (yes, I know this has been said before, so let's not revisit those discussions) then the answer should be "nothing else."
    I fully expect the industry to respond to the 950 in kind, but as someone else so eloquently put it, if this were so easy to accomplish where are all the other units?
    This should be a very interesting year for the pre/pro market and we, the consumers, who are interested in separate components stand to gain from the unfolding drama.
    I'm not sure whether this should be called
    "As the 950 Turns"
    or
    "The 950 and the Restless"
    or
    "Days of Our 950's"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Robert,
    Defintely "The 950 and the Restless". [​IMG]

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Larry,

I stand corrected. If you want a good, basic pre/pro without the latest features but a fine performer then the Sherwood Newcastle is a very good option. I've been so embroiled in all the latest bells and whistles that I completely forgot about this option.

Good call.

5. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

What about the Sony STR-DA5ES receiver? I can be purchased for around $1050.00 It seems to be loaded with a lot of features and tweakable settings. Crutchfield's website has a lot of info on it I don't own one, but I have also been looking at other options in the $1000.00 price range and this one really caught my attention. Does anyone have any comments regarding this unit other than past quality issues with older units?

6. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Actually the Sony str-da5es is brand new, as in a month or so. The cheapest price is onecall and jandr for 1000.00 and it normally retails for 1500.00

I havent heard it, but have heard may reveiwers who really like it. It has bass management for each speakers from 40 to 120 hz in 10 hz increments. It also has eq for all speakers. Two sets of 7.1 inputs for sacd and dvd audio, not to mention all the latest formats. THREE 32 bit sharc processors and much more tweak ability, set speakers for dipole/monopole, hard/soft surface etc..

I also havent heard it and am curious as to how it sounds. If it sounds anything like my old sony 777es I would be happy. I do agree that music probably isnt its strong point, but I bet it rocks for home theater..

7. Roderick S

Roderick S Auditioning

Check out a used Sony E9000. You would have to combine it with the analog Sony P9000es pre-amp if you want to use SACD or DVD-A. I think you can buy both for about 1200-1400.....

I've been waiting also. I currently have a Sony DA50ES which has no 5.1 inputs. I don't see anything so far that is going to make me pass on the Outlaw

8. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

You can find the Adcom GTP-830 for under $1000 if you look around (retail $1200). It got excellent reviews in Perfect Vision and Audio Revolution.

9. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the comments. I may be wrong but I believe this particular unit (STR-DA5ES) started shipping in December of 2001. It seems to have alot of the current features plus additional ones that alot of other receivers/pre's don't. I haven't seen it priced any where below $999.99.

The only thing I can see it lacking is a seventh channel of amplification when used as a receiver, but used as a preamp it appears to have a lot of features for the price.

I'm on the waiting list for the 950 and in the mean time I've been searching lately for alternatives to the 950 close to it's price range, so I may have missed something. Can someone tell me based on features what it's missing compared to the 950 or the 1066? Thanks in advance.

10. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Larry,
    The DA5ES IS a receiver. I am sure it rocks for HT but the question is the Outlaw 950 THAT much better than the Sony on 2 channel to give up the 6 channels of amplification and perhaps slightly richer feature set.