Outlaw 950/770 Package or something else - advice please ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JD Koltz, Sep 10, 2002.

1. JD Koltz

JD Koltz Extra

Well - I have just received my email from Outlaw and I have 9 days to decide on if the 950/770 package is the way to go.

I am trying to decide between the Outlaw setup, Denon 5803, Pioneer 49Txi or another separates solution. I realize that alot of this is matter of opinion - just curious as to what people suggest. My budget is from $2500-3000 - which all of my choice fall into.

I am replacing my faithful Denon 5600 - which will be moved to the bedroom. I will be purchasing a new wide-screen 65" RPTV and will most likely go with the a Sony XBR or the new WV700 which had the DVI Connection - I will pair this set with the new Sony HD DDS Receiver.

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There's pluses and minus to all the options you have available to you. Personally I'd lean towards the Rotel 1066 and a Rotel power amp but given how great all of these units sound you really can't go wrong with any option.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

If I were you, with that budget, I would look to add $500 or so to my budget and look for a deal on an Anthem combo. The AVM20 can be had for around $2500-2800 from authorized dealers, and you can add a PVA 7 new for around $700-1000, or a MCA5 used for around $700-1000. Either of these combinations will kick the krap out of the Denon 5803, Pioneer 49txi, Outlaw 950/770 or Rotel combo.
    If you have to keep with the origiinal budget, then go with the Rotel if you don't need video switching or Multi-channel input bass management, and if you need these two, I would go with the Pioneer 49txi, which has the firewire for SACD/DVD-Audio and also has a sterling reputation for sound quality, power and features.

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I was considering the 950 awhile back but decided against it. I then was looking at the Rotel.
    IMHO, it's well worth the extra money over the 950 (looks, upgradeable, company history) but has some problems of it's own with regards to bass mgmt, which made me hesitant to purchase it.

I then started looking at much more expensive pre/pro's, like the EAD theatermaster, Sunfire, ARagon, etc. But with the market where it is and me being in telecom, I decided to keep things simple.
    I bought a Denon 5803.
    I also own an ATI1505, which I'd guess is pretty close sounding to the Outlaw amps.
    I've been experimenting swapping in the ATI with the Denon and must say it's extremely difficult to tell which amp is playing, even at high volume. This tells me the Denon's amps are very good, at least capable of competing with the likes of the 1505.
    I haven't heard a 950, and have heard a 1066 at someone else's house. I've had a denon 3802 as a pre/pro and a EAD Encore in my system within the last 6 months.
    I'd say the 5803 both as a receiver and as a pre/pro is top notch, second only to the EAD for 2 channel music.

Based on my experience, I think the 5803 is competitive in sound with the Outlaw or Rotel combo's, and offers much more flexibility for setting it up to meet your requirements.

The Anthem would also be another good choice.
    It seems to be one of the only other moderately priced pre/pro's that has few problems and where upgrades are taking place to get it current.
    (Although, I'd take comments about "kicking the crap out of" with a grain of salt at this level of components.)

I might also suggest waiting until the end of the month (CEDIA) to see what B&K announces about their new flagship receiver and separates package.

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Brian, you are right about the "kicking the crap out of" comment, but what I meant to say that the Anthem combo would provide an obvious difference in sound quality versus the options that JD listed, and such a easily distinguisible difference is like night and day when applied to audio.
    Also, as for the B&K components, I talked to a rep yesterday, and he said that all the new stuff will be unveiled at CEDIA at the end of the month, which includes a new receiver, 2 new processors, and a new amp(you can also look at the other threads in the forum). He also said that there will most likely be an upgrade path for the Ref30, but they will not know the extents or the pricing until after CEDIA

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

If I were you I would go with the Outlaw 950/770 combo. I have it and for its price (2500) it is pretty untouchable. Think of it this way, you are basically paying 700 dollars for the 950. Also, since you will have an amp, it will be easy to upgrade once the digital connections work themselves out instead of paying 2000-3000 for the processor, where it would be harder to justify. I would also look at the Rotel like Andrew suggested but at the Outlaw combo price you get a killer 7 channel amp for a great deal. The receivers you mentioned are excellent but I would recommend going separate to have an amp so then next time you upgrade you can just buy a processor, whether its a pre/pro or a receiver used as a pre/pro. Long story short, I would order it and try it out for 30 days, I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck.

7. PeterKuhlman

PeterKuhlman Extra

Very tough decision. As one who originally wanted a 950 with amp but got tired of waiting, I ended up with the Pioneer Elite 49TX and just love it. For sure, the Denon 5803 is a great product but it cost more and I felt that the Elite was more user friendly - easier for my wife to use - and had a nicer remote. I still would have liked separates but in reality, space was a concern and this fit the available space. Seriously, think about the long term. These premium receivers have nifty features and functions that most of the pre/pros do not. As such, they offer tremendous instant functionality and still have the ability to be "improved" with additional amplification later. Many people feel that they are audiophiles but I can realize that is not really me. I seriously doubt that I can pick one of the mentioned choices as "the best" between these premium products although I might hear a difference. For myself, separates were desired but I can/will be happy with this for quite a few years as I do not upgrade just for the latest features. I also question the 49TXi as I understand it, no one else has this Pioneer version of firewire and it may be limited in it's usefulness.
    Sorry, I am not really being helpful here but you just can not go really wrong with any of those choices.
    Pete in Louisiana

8. JD Koltz

JD Koltz Extra

I really appreciate the input from everyone ... the more I read the more I learn ...

9. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I don't know if you saw this post here on the forum, but you might find it useful. It is a brief comparison of the Anthem vs. the 950.
    -Keith

10. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Like just nearly everyone, I have owned several receivers. In this price range, unless someone is pressed for space or absolutely enthralled by features, I just cannot see why receivers would be an option. Call it a "flagship",raise the price to $3-5K and it still has all of the limitations. In addition to heat and flexibility issues the internal amps will never compete with even basic separates. Look at all the posts where owners have invested a small fortune in a receiver only to add external amps.
    I have compared the 950 and the 1066 and can see no justification for the $600.00 difference in price. To me the units are comparable in features and performance. The Anthem is on another level in both quality and price but many reviews have stated that its sound is very close to the 950.
    The Outlaw combo is clearly a price/performance leader. You may want to consider other amps such as ATI, Parasound, B&K, etc.
    Tom

11. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I originally was going to go with the 950/770 combo, but got tired of waiting on the 950 and ended up buying the Rotel 1066 isntead. I still purchased the 770 amp though, and I'm very happy with the 1066/770 combo.

12. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Is the 950 upgradable? I notice many of the others are.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Bob no the outlaw isn't upgradeable

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter