Outlaw 950/770 Owners chime in please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mat_M, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Ok I'm pretty much set on giving the Outlaw 950/770 combo a try. But first I'd like 950/770 owners to ring in here. It's been a very long time since the "hiss" was discussed; if I purchase the unit now will it be eliminated?

But more importantly, I'd like to get an idea of what speakers you owners use? Fronts, center, surrounds, side surrounds (if applicable). I'll be using my system 85% movies, 15% music.

And even more importantly, will there be another pre/pro coming from Outlaw that I should wait for?

Thanks for the info,
    Mat

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Mat_M----Go over to the Outlaw site(outlawaudio.com) and checkout the boards there for some answers to both of your questions. You have to enter outlaws hideout then outlaw saloon to get there.

3. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

As of December 17, Outlaw's been shipping a revised design that has eliminated the hiss issue on the last problem cases (typically users of very high efficiency speakers like Klipsh horns). It would appear that the hiss is dead.

As for what people use with them, I'm using a 950/750 combo with an older Parasound amp for surround back, and my speakers are Paradigm Reference all the way around (Studio/60v2, Studio/CCv2, and three Studio/ADPv2's). It's used mainly for movies and TV (digital cable), and has performed very well for me.

Outlaw has indicated that they plan to eventually produce a "big brother" to the 950, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon -- aside from the development time it will require, they have mentioned several times that they hope to include features like digital input for DVD-A and SACD that are not really available yet. I would expect the 950 to be their lone pre/pro until at least late 2005, but that's just a guess...

4. William_Morr

William_Morr Extra

The hiss has been eliminated as Jim (Gonk) has posted. As far as speakers, I'm using an M&K setup (SW-95s mains, SW-85s surrounds, S-85 center, VX-100 sub) and it has been stellar for movies and very good for music. The combo is worth a try. You can always send the Outlaws back if you're not happy.