Outlaw 950/770 Combo or Denon 4802/5803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

I'm sorry for posting yet ANOTHER comparitive thread, but here it goes:

The Outlaw combo is $2499 from Outlaw

The Denon 4802 is $2499 MSRP

The Denon 5803 is $4200 MSRP

Assuming that availability on the outlaw combo is NOT an issue, and that my budget is optimally $2500, but can stretch to $3000. Right now im looking towards the Denon 4802 (5803 if I can haggle down the price to ~3000) because the Outlaw is (IMO) severley lacking in features (NOT sonic accuracy, but features like inputs, outputs, RS-232, stuff like that).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Why not also look at the Rotel 1066 pre amp as well? Its got RS-232, is firmware upgradeable and should easily best the Denon in sound quality.

3. Jon Krangel

I have seen the Rotel mentioned before. My prolblem with it is similar to my problem with the Outlaw - it lacks inputs (digital, s-video, component). Right now, I have no other choice than to run my video through my reciever, and an outboard switcher (a good one anyway) is not in the bugdet Also, I thought it was considerably more expensive than the outlaw. Is this true?

Do you really think the Denon will sound that bad? Right now, I think my Onkyo 797 sounds pretty good, and I know the Denon will beat my Onkyo.

Thanks

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jon,
    I have owned the 5803 for 2 1/2 months and can assure you, there's nothing "bad" about it. It's loaded with inputs and outputs. The sound is very good with the internal amps.No strain at all with anything i throw at it. Very powerful processing. Having said that, i'm considering adding external amplification only because i can . [​IMG]
    BTW, i picked mine up for roughly $3100.00. If i were you, i'd also consider the Rotel 1066 with an amp, like Andrew said. It's an option.. The 1066 is one sweet looking piece. Not sure if it has the amount of inputs&outputs you require or not. Good luck [​IMG]

5. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Jon,

Watch yourself on the 4802 if you have any inclination toward multichannel tunes (SACD,DVD-Audio). No bass management on the EXT IN for the 4802. 5803 deals nicely with this issue, providing two sets of analog inputs. Signals can either be directly passed through to amps (like 4802) or can be converted to digital, full BM applied then converted back to analog and on to the amps. The digital I/F logjam looks to be solidly in place so you definitely should consider BM on analog ins as a requirement for the foreseeable future. Note the new Pioneer receivers also provide this capability. Good luck.

Austin

6. Jon Krangel

Thanks guys. After reading what you and others have said, I think I have my heart pretty much set on the 5803/4802 (whichever the wallet permits). Chip - I live in cental jersey - maybe you could tell me which dealer you picked up your 5803 from? $3100 is an AWESOME price, and well within my budget!

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jon,
    Tweeter, Delaware, on Kirkwood HyWy. Lets just say i've established a good rapore there.. [​IMG]