What's new

Outlaw 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????? (1 Viewer)

Don_Smith

Auditioning
1) I am purchasing the new Outlaw 950 pre/pro. I have the option of bundling it with a 770 power amp. I've heard good stuff about this amp, but I've been leaning towards 5 LeAmps (IRD's) My questions are.....is there really that much of a difference in going with the seperate LeAmps, vs. an Outlaw bigboy such as the 770? Is the difference really worth having multiple power cords everywhere? I'm an aspiring audiophile, and I do appreciate good quality sound, both in HT & music. But, this config will be used 80% of the time for HT.
I have to make up my mind by tomorrow on the Outlaw amp; one way or the other.
2) Can anyone give me some tips on setting up the multiple amp configuration in my HT room? Is it best to place each amp block near (or under) each speaker? Would it be better to run long "interconnect" cables to each amp, and then run higher-grade quality short speaker cables to each individual speaker from the nearby LeAmp?
3) Or do folks have them all up front, with short interconnects and running long speaker wire to the rear surrounds?
4) Is it feasible to "Fly" or hang the rear surround speakers? Does anyone out there have any snapshots of folks suspending their surrounds from the ceiling? I know I shouldn't have them too close t oa wall, do to rear porting.
Thank you,
Don Smith
[email protected]

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
The only problem I see with running them at all the speakers is you will need to either have an available plug at each speaker position or you will need to run a lot of extension cords.

Don_Smith

Auditioning
I do have outlets in the appropriate areas, so that wouldn't be an issue. Me being a newbie & all though......I'm wondering if indeed the difference in sound would be noticable?

Also, what would be the best way to wire them up?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Don,

At a high level glance (and not knowing your speakers), your use heavily towards HT would suggest that a 5ch amp like the 770 would be sufficient.

As for your amp positioning question, you'll spend lots more money with long length, quality interconnects than with long length, quality speaker cable. You'll need a high level of quality with a long interconnect because the signal is low level (i.e., unamplified), which means it's much more susceptible to ambient noise than a high level signal that is sent from an amp to a speaker.

Doug

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
The low level signal on pre-amp connections will pick up interferance and introduce noise much easier that the amplified single from amp to speaker. I wouldn't bother attempting to keep the amps close to the speakers myself.

-Aaron

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
Don,
For HT I don't think you would find a big difference but for music (2 ch or multi-channel) the better quality of sound from LeAmps would definitely beat the Outlaw 770 :)
As far as connectivity goes, you should aim for shorter interconnects which means you have to place LeAmps close to 950.
WRT rear surround speakers- hanging is ok as long as support is good & speakers are fixed (which is tough) Check out from manufacturer about optimum wall distance..(maybe 1-1.5ft from wall might not be an issue)
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Kishore

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the vote for the 755/770. I have two LeAmps in my two-channel set up. I LOVE them. They are great. But I'm leaning towards a 770 for the HT setup when I make my next change (can't wait for that!!). I imagine you'd get a slight sonic improvement using a bunch of LeAmps, but I can't see that mattering as much for an HT setup. Just my opinion of course.

Man those LeAmps are great for two-channel though.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I have just received 5 IRD MB100's. I'm on the reservation list for the Outlaw 950 and unfortunately have no way of demoing the amps at this time. I can tell that the build quality of the IRD's is top shelf. I hee'd and haw'd over the same issue of the 770 or the IRD's. I decided the IRD's based on the claimed benefits for music, build quality and general positive feedback. When looking at the Outlaw specs and gallery, I noticed the 7 channel and 5 channel amps use what appears to be the same chassis (at least dimension wise), the same transformers and squeezing in 2 more channels for the 770. Maybe someone else can elaborate on the 770? Either way I believe you will be very happy with your choice.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
You're pretty much right about the 770 vs. 755, David, although somewhat reversed -- the 770 was designed first, and they just yanked two channels out to make the 755. The 755 was basically an afterthought -- reportedly Outlaw was very pleased with their 770 samples, and decided to use the new amp channel and chassis design to quickly produce a replacement for the 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks