Outlaw 770 or the Rotel RMB 1095 amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddJoseph, Oct 27, 2001.

1. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

Im leaning towards the outlaw 770 for the 7 channels at 200 watts. Currently will be using the Denon 3300 as a pre. Outlaw is priced at under 1800.00 I believe and I can get a Rotel locally for 1800.00 +tax. I like the fact that I will have 2 channels open, for that I only have a 5.1 setup right now if I go with the Outlaw.
    Im looking to get more head room and bring out the highs and lows on my Klipsch Reference series. The Denon on board amps are weak in my opinion
    Looking for opinions and thoughts on both units.

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Todd,
    I have the same receiver as you and just like you I plan on using my 3300 as my pre/pro. I've been waiting on the Outlaw 770 for about four months or so. My first choice of amps were the ATI 2505(250x5), Parasound HCA-2205AT(220x5) and the Rotel RMB-1095(200x5). Over the past few months I've decided to give up on the Outlaw amp. Originally I wanted the 770 for the extra two channels(that I don't plan on using anytime soon) just in case I need them one day. Since the 770 isn't out yet I can only guess that it will be similar to Outlaw's 750 amp in sound quality(which most say is good, but a little bright with the Paradigm speakers I will be getting).
    I've listened to the Parasound, Rotel and ATI and can say the ATI was brighter than the Parasound and the Rotel. I really loved the Parasound and the Rotel. For me they were so close in sound that if I closed my eyes I couldn't tell them apart. I decided to go with the Parasound or the Rotel because of the sound and the PROVEN record of reliability, and quality.
    I know Outlaw has a 30 day return policy, but for me I'd still rather go with an amp I've heard, and one with a known record. If I ever need two extra channels I can alway use two of the channels from my 3300 to power a pair of rear suround speakers. For me the 770's lure of two extra channels was very tempting, but I really want an amp I can keep for many years to come. I'm not saying the 770 won't be great I'm just saying I don't know if will be great because I don't even have any specs to go on other than 200x7 watts. After reading every review I could find and asking everyone I could. I can't find a bad word about the Rotel or Parasound anywhere.
    Both of these amps make there rated power driving all five channel(provided you have a dedicated 15 or 20 amp curcuit). Many amps claim to make their rated power driving all channels but really only make their rated power at 1khz or driving two or three channels. If I get the Rotel or Parasound I'll never wonder if I made the right choice. With the 770 I MIGHT wonder.
    I do plan on getting a true pre/pro early next year. Maybe an Outlaw 950 depending on how others feel about it after it comes out. I'd like wait for a few reviews from owners to see how it stacks up agains other pre/pros. If it provides even close to the sound of more expensive pre/pros I'll get one(granted it doesn't have the hiss of the early Outlaw 1050 receivers) and still keep my 3300 for the extra channels.
    Since I can't tell the Rotel and the Parasound apart in sound. Then I have to go with looks. For me I guess it will have to be the Rotel(I love the way it looks).
    My wife and kids are getting it for me as my xmas gift, so it will have to stay UNOPENED until then. I plan on picking it up late next month. It's going to be a long wait from late November to xmas. Oh well I've been waiting for an amp since May, so another 60 days won't kill me.
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I recently purchased the RMB-1075 (125 watts x 5). This amp is great. I can't imagine how much better my system would sound if it was powered by a 200 x 5 Rotel. From what I've read, the Outlaw is manufactured by ATI, only some of the components are different. I don't know if that means the Outlaw isn't built as well as the ATI (I've never listened to the Outlaw, although I have heard the ATI).
    Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Rotel amp, plus the looks are A+.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

How do you give impressions on an amp that isn't even out yet? Just curious...
    - Chip
    ------------------

5. Will

Will Guest

I'm planning to get the Outlaw 950 pre/pro whenever it

comes out and I currently have a 5 channel sunfire

cinema grand.

I can't decide how I'm going to power the other two

channels. I can either buy a 2 channel amp, or replace

my 5 channel Sunfire CG with a 7 channel amplifier.

I like that the CG is famous for not running hot. I

hope to get a total of 7 channels where the amplification

does NOT heat it's enclosed cabinet.

Any suggestions?

6. Bill Turetsky

"How do you give impressions on an amp that isn't even out yet? Just curious..."

++

Outlaw has a FINE track record with the 1050 and the 750 - can't believe they'd drop the ball!

7. ToddJoseph

I think Im gonna wait for the outlaw 770 to come out and wait for some reviews. Any beta testers out there that would like to comment on the 770?

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Todd,

THe Outlaw would be a fine unit to add to your setup when and if it arrives to market. One thing you may want to consider is to get a nice 5 channel AMP now and pickup a 2 channel down the road if you get into a 6.1/7.1 setup. This would more than likely push you into the same price point as getting the 770 and wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Personally I can swear to the quality of Rotel. I pickedup their 1066 model(6x60) a month back, mainly because it fit into my budget and because of the Rotel name(quality for the money). Add in the fact that its bridgeable to 3x150 if I plan on adding another down the road. Build wise this is a solid beast, with NO hiss from the speakers when volume turned to max(no audio playing). Hooked upto my new Marantz AV560 Pre/Pro, sound wise its a gem powering my Paradigm Mini Monitors. It really puts my Denon 1801(replaced my 560) amps to shame.

Kevin

9. ToddJoseph

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply, however this is the delima. The outlaw can be had for around $1800.00 for all 7 channels. The rotel rmb 1095 can be had for $1800.00 and then add a two channel your looking at say another $500.00 +. The outlaw 750 received rave reviews, so its my plan to wait and see.

I could always get 150 watt x5 amp and then get a 2 channel later. There is really not a noticable difference in 150w vs 200w, at least not to a naked ear. What do you think?

What would be your suggestions for a great 5 channel 150 watt amp under $2000 of course

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I would go with the rotel as well. It is a solid company. I am like you, I KNOW that rotel is a goos company and sounds good, but for Outlaw, I would have to rely on others opinions, and I would always just wonder if it was the right thing to do.

As far as 5 vs 7 channel, if you plan on using the 7 channels right away, it may be an issue, but if yuo plan on using them down the road, get the 5 channel. You never know what will come up between now and then. You may come into some $$, or a great deal, or something else for another 2 channel amp. (I have a similar situation, while I am not interested in anything over 5.1, I run a rotel 3X150 for my fronts, and an NAD 2X85 for the rears. I have always thought that that was plenty of power, etc, etc...but that old upgrading bug had bit again and I am thinking of getting a real nice 2 channel amp and putting it outside my cabnet, like a piece of jewelry, and run it for my mains. I am thinking about something like a McIntosh or Levinson, but I have a friend who can get me a great deal on an amp built by marshsounddesign.com, so I am leaning that way. I will keep my NAD so if I ever do go over 5.1 channels. My point is that you never really know, and sooner or later you will want to upgrade something (even know now you say to yourself that you don't think you will).

GOOD LUCK