Outlaw 770 Amp Received And Running

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RonaldW, Apr 8, 2002.

1. RonaldW

RonaldW Auditioning

After begging, I managed to break my 950/770 combo order and get the 770 shipped early (I didn't get on the list until Jan). It was shipped overnight via DHL ($120, would have been $80 UPS Ground) last thursday but only arrived today. I am going to send a message and see if DHL has a delivery guarantee.

Anyway, I am using a Denon 3801 as a preamp while waiting for my 950. Nearly broke my back moving the amp in place. Shipping weight was 105 lbs.

Driving Final 0.3s on the corner and a Infinity center. Sounds pretty good, but I am sure that the Denon isn't doing it justice.

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Have you used any other amps (5 channel even)?

3. RonaldW

RonaldW Auditioning

I am afraid this is my first venture out of the standalone receiver ranks (Pioneer Elite, Denon).

I received serial number 770D00001 BTW...

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

So, where's the review? How does it sound, and does it get warm/hot when in operation? Does it make your lights dim when you crank it? [​IMG]
    KJP

6. Will

Will Guest

Based on the serial number, you have the very first one. I wonder if anybody else has received a 770. Has the second one been shipped?

7. RonaldW

RonaldW Auditioning

I am not the best person to evaluate this unit as I haven't had a standalone amp before.
    The reason I begged for an early ship is that when I crank the 3801 in driving the 4 Ohm load of the Final 0.3 electrostatics, I get occasional receiver shutdown and the dynamic range seems compressed throughout.
    Needless to say these problems are gone [​IMG]
    It sounds good. I calibrated volume to 85db on the zero setting and watched the new Highlander collectors edition last night. It rocked though very little of the mix is out the back channels despite DTS ES Discrete Encoding.
    Other than that, I have just been listening to a variety of music. It is much nicer than with just the 3801.
    After a couple hours the back of the unit is quite warm. Not so hot that you can't lay your palm on it for short times, but such that you feel a little warmth around 1" above the unit.
    BTW because it missed my friday delivery time for overnight and arrived monday, DHL refunded the entire $120 shipping cost!

8. JohnVV

JohnVV Auditioning

I received my 770 today as well. My serial #is xxx0003, so it looks like I got the third one.

This is my first venture in separates as well. I have the 770 hooked up, but my 950 is still on the floor as I have been too busy with work to set it up. UGHHHHH!!!!

I am currently using the 770 with an older Marantz A/V receiver. In my limited testing, it does sound very nice and is clearly an improvement over my previous setup. No surprise there. Unfortunately it is both too early and I'm too busy to review.

At least my taxes are done...