Outlaw 755 amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnEF, Aug 7, 2003.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new amp and currently am interested in the Outlaw 755. I currently have Pinnacle gold Tower speakers, Pinnacle gold center speaker and 2 Pinnacle gold mini-monitors. I also have a 12 inch 250 watt Pinnacle sub woofer. I am currently driving them in a 14 foot wide by 21 foot long by 8 foot high room using my old Yamaha 793 receiver which I plan to use as a pre-amp.

Outlaw has a good B-stock price of $1179. In this price range (or a little higher) should I be looking at anything else?

Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks.

John

2. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

In reference to my post on the 755 Outlaw I should mention that I use the system about 80% movies and 20% music. I do intend to add a front projector system by the end of the year (a Christmas surprise).

John

Ps-the Pinnacle are 92 dbs sensitivity or better.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

The Outlaw 755 would be a great addition to your setup. I have the 755's bigger brother in the 770 and have been nothing but pleased with its performance. What are you going to be using for a pre-amp?

Parker

4. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I too have the 770 and just LOVE it. Im sure you will be quite happy with the 755

5. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

In reference to my setup with the Pinnacle speakers I should have mentioned that I have a Yamaha 793 receiver (80 watts times 5) and I plan to use it as my pre-amp as it has pre-outs for the time being.

John

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I have an Outlaw 755 (in fact the first one made) that I use in conjunction with a couple of Marantz 700 Monoblocks which match with it very nicely. They power a bunch of M&K 150 speakers and receive the signals from a Lexicon MC-8 pre/pro. Very, very nice.

Check out details at my HT web site for a lot more information.

7. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

RAF
    I took a look at your home theater. Very impressive. I plan to get a front projector unit myself by the end of the year and upgrade my subwoofer to an SVS. Luckily my wife sees our family room (14 by 21 feet) as my "play" area to do as I want with. It will be fairly close to a dedicated home theater and musical listening area.

John

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

John,

Thanks for the kind words. I, too, had a free reign when designing and building my HT. Of course, my wife had ulterior motives since the Home Theater allowed her to isolate herself from the audio portion of the presentations.

[​IMG]

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    So John did you pull the trigger on the 755? Let us know if you do and what you think of it. I just know you are going to be impressed.

Parker

10. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I had planned to get an external amp over ayear ago but we had a problem with the electrical circuitry in our family room. It had one 15 amp breaker for the whole room including overhead lights. I just recently had an electrician room two 20 amp circuits to outlets side by side-one for the amp I planned to purchase and one for the rest of my home theater stuff.

I was about to pull the trigger and contact Outlaw (after some last minute searching around for possible alternatives-ATI, Sherbourn, etc) but I came to the conclusion that for my needs (mostly movies) the Outlaw seemed to be the best fit-especially the B version 755 that was cheaper still. Unfortunately I am leaving for vacation in a week and I don't want the amp to show up when I am not here. I will order in early September.

John

PS-Thanks to everyone for your comments.