Outlaw 750 amp Vs. Parasound HCA-1205A amp...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin L K, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding these two different 5-channel amps? How do they compare soundwise and as far as quality is concerned?
    I've heard that the Outlaw is very "clean" sounding and that the Parasound is "warm" sounding. Does anybody feel these are accurate statements and if you had a choice between the two-one is $100 more than the other-which one would you purchase and why? I realize my ears will be the final judge but I'm just looking for some knowledgeable and experienced feedback. Thanks [​IMG]

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Kevin: yes, generally, those are my comparative opinions also. What speakers are you going to drive with this amp?

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I've owned the Parasound 1205a for 3 years now, so obviously I'm probably biased, but I'm really satisfied.

I use it to drive difficult speakers (4 ohm) Dynaudio Contours, and it does a very musical job.

I'm not sure about how warm sounding the amp is. My speaker's tweeters are silk domes (certainly less harsh than metal) and when I compared the ATI 1505 amplifier to the Parasound, the ATI amp was simply too harsh on the high-end for me.

The large current capacity of the Parasound at 45 amps peak/channel gives it plenty of dynamic headroom, which is very important.

Hope this helps you.

BruceD

4. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

if the outlaw sounds anything like the ati, which i would assume it does, since the outlaw is made by ati, and constructed similarly, than i would go for the parasound.

as others have said, the ati was just too harsh on music for my liking.

5. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

John,Anthony,Bruce & Robert--thank you very much for the feedback [​IMG] I was leaning towards the Parasound.
    I haven't made up my mind yet on which speakers to get--it will be sometime in the not-to-distant-future but I am considering:
    - Ascend Acoustics(the BEST sounding speakers for the money IMHO-I've owned them before but had to sell them because of unexpected circumstances but liked them so much I may get them again)
    - Axiom
    - Klipsch
    - Norh
    - AV Reality
    - Swan Divas
    I know the Ascends,Klipsch & Axioms are "bright" sounding(I would characterize the Ascends as "crisp")so I do not think they would be a good match for the Outlaw at all,but I'm not sure how to describe the sound of the Divas,Norhs or the various AV Reality speakers even though I've read quite a bit about all of them.
    Oh well,I guess the fun's in finding all of this out [​IMG]
    Thanks again guys [​IMG]!