Outlaw 7100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Zimkas, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I put my name on the waiting list for the new Outlaw 7100 7 channel amp. It's rated at 100w x 7 into 8 ohms (165w x 7). The amp is supposed to be ready for shipment around the end of Feb. or first part of March.

Anybody else getting one?

2. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

I've reserved one as well. Actually the 950/7100 combo. Was kind of hoping for some early reviews. Will this amp sufficiently power this 950 unit or should I look at something else? This is my first go around with outlaw and I've read many reviews/responses from other HTF members, and the reaction is favorable.

My other option is the Marantz 7300ose. Any advice from outlaw or marantz owners would be awesome.

Thanks

mark

oh.

My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver series 5is (fronts), 3is (rears), 110 center, 210 sub.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I'd definitely go with the Outlaw combo. I'm sure it has MUCH better amplification that the on-board amps in the Marantz receiver. It also has better bass-management, and probably better sound quality, but that's subjective anyways.

4. Frank Zimkas

Mark,
    What are your speakers rated at, ohms & input wise?

5. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Hate to sound like a dunce, but I believe 6 ohms. Not too sure. Was on their web site and they don't carry the 5is anymore so no product info. The 6s are rated at 6.

6. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I'm on the reservation list as well. They just posted pics and specs of the 7100 on their website...looks like another winner from Outlaw. I'm driving just five bookshelf size speakers all around, so 100 watts per channel should be fine. Also with Outlaw's track record, I'm guessing early April until the 7100 starts shipping.

7. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Why would Outlaw send out their newsletter stating shipping of these units possible by late feb or early march? didn't they just get slammed for projecting and then cancelling dates for the 950? you would hope they will hold true to their word.

mark

8. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I don't know if it's just me, but I really don't like the looks of the Outlaw products. They just seem so toyish and cheap looking IMO.

I have been considering purchasing the 950 and 755 for quite some time, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I think I'll just wait 'till I can afford the slightly more expensive Rotel 1066 and 1075 (or 1095 if I can swing it).

In no way am I bashing the Outlaw products here, as I know they offer unbelievable price:performance ratio, but am I alone here?

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Don't get fooled by the plain looks for their amps.

They are ugly, but the quality is there. Solid steel box assemblies with robust parts (big heat sinks, double bonded high grade epoxy boards, high quality gold plated connectors), large toroidial transformers, and built in the U.S.A. Heavy SOB's too.

They seem to be designed and built by ATI to Outlaw's specs. That could have changed, but I doubt it.

Outlaw needs to add rack mount face plates so at least the fronts are easier to look at.

It really depends on the type of speakers you're driving on how much power amp output you need. Their 7700 may be necessary if the speakers are hard to drive.

Dan

10. Frank Zimkas

Hi Dan,
    Did you upgrade your speakers yet?

11. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

OK so they name it 7100 for 7*100 why didn't they name the 770 the 7200 and the 755 the 5200? There naming scheme is not matching up...no it's not a big deal...just a thought for the day

12. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Is it worth the extra $100 to get the 7 .5m pca connectors?? And could some give a brief description? I've been on their site and have looked at the pics but still confused. Are they wire that connects your speaker to the 950 or are they cords that connect the 7100 to the 950? thanks.

mark

13. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Speaker wires connect out of the amp to your speakers but when you connect the amp to the 950 you are using seven 0.5 meter PCA interconnects. Though you don't need seven if you are not using seven channels. The other thing is you need to know your placement of the two items for cable length. Some people may have the 950 on the very top of the rack and the amp on the very bottom therefore they would need longer cables.

14. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Mark.

Those wires are called interconnects. They connect the 950 to the amp. Then you buy whatever speaker wire you want to connect the amp to your speakers. I would suggest you buy the Outlaw interconnects if they are long enough for you.

15. Frank Zimkas

16. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

17. Frank Zimkas

HMMMM,
    I wonder why YOU would say that?!?

18. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Just received an email stating my order is ready to ship!!

Before I pull the trigger, I also have a deal where I can get the PVA-7 for $50 cheaper than the 7100. Will the PVA-7 sound good with the 950 or would it be recommended to stay in the outlaw family?

mark

19. Frank Zimkas

Mark,
    I demo'd a PVA-7 in my HT for a week or two and thought it sounded great. I am going to get the Outlaw though because it does deliver more power with all channels driven than the Anthem does. Are you going to get new Anthem amp for less than the cost of the 7100?

20. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Frank,

I went a head and pulled the trigger on the 7100. Though, the various reviews I've read of the PVA-7 were favorable, but all mentioned the lack of power, but "still sounded great" tpye of review. Whatever. I'll give this outlaw a run and see if all the hype is true. I can't wait!! Went ahead w/ the package deal with pca interconnects. Have you got your shipping notice yet?

mark