Outlaw 7100 discontinued! I'm going to loose my mind!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Menoni, Jun 23, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I was about to buy the 950/7100 combo. Then Outlaw discontinued the 950. Fine. Then I was going to go ahead and buy the 990/7100 combo. I put myself on the waiting list. Now that they finally sent me a confirmation email, they say that the 7100 is discontinued. I'm starting to get really pissed off at this company! They don't even give you any information about there future products. Are they ever planning on releasing a similar product to the 7100? If so, when? This whole thing is getting rediculous. I'm starting to look at other pre-amp/amp combos. Any suggestions from other companies would be appreciated.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Did you ask Outlaw any of this? Did they offer a replacement path?

3. John Menoni

I just got an email from them. They said that the 7100 will only be out of stock for another 30-45 days. They also said they might be able to get me a b-stock model. I have been waiting so long to upgrade to a pre/pro and amp from my reciever for so long, I'm starting to get impatient. There customer service is very good as I have dealt with them before. I'm contemplating just getting the b-stock model and getting it over with. I'm dying to hear the difference from my pioneer elite vsx-26 TX to the outlaw system.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Things get discontinued due to many factors. Market dries up, parts are NLA, vendors leave, price point becomes saturated. Good companies see it coming and have new product development running constantly to prevent vacancies in the lineup.

Is the 7100 really discontinued, or only backordered?

Good luck -

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Or they could be redesigning it to better match the 990?

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

They already have the 770 for the 990. [​IMG]

I personally hope the 7100 is not discontinued. I believe that 100W/ch is plenty for most people, in that most people do cross over their speakers to a sub, and that it's the low frequencies where the power demand is. The 7100 is a nice amp.

7. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

The 770 is being replaced with the model 790. Balanced inputs, 300WPC, dual power cables to handle the 2100 watts and looks to match the 990 pre/pro.

Other models to replace the 7100 will be coming later this year that should hit the sweet spot of 100-200 WPC, but they have yet to be confirmed. The 790 is simply overkill for most and phasing out the old amps with new models that match the new line only makes since.

Outlaw actually has 8 new product rollouts planned for '05-'06 and these will no doubt include the new amp line.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't think the 790 is replacing the 770. It makes sense to keep a 200W/ch amp in the lineup for exactly the reason you say: 300W/ch is overkill for most people. Plus extra cost that they might not want to pay. 200W/ch is really the sweet spot as far as the market goes. I bet they don't discontinue the 770 until they have another 200W/ch amp ready.

9. Dennis Gardner

Replace, reface. Take your pick of the terminology. They aren't going to continue to make old versions of their amps any longer. The 770 and 7100 may just be refaced to look updated, as they are good amps, but a company that intentionally matched their product line, will most likely continue this pattern.

They have a newer style or design that will be incorporated throughout their lineup.

10. John Menoni

They said they were going to have more in 30-45 days. I can't spend more money on the amp. I am ordering my speakers and I have to order my projector. The outlaw thing is holding up my whole project. I don't mind waiting another 30 days. I've waited this long. I don't care much about the faceplate of the 7100. It is going to be hidden at the bottom of my gear rack.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

How do you know this? Has Outlaw said so?

BTW, they don't "make" the 7100, 770, or 755. ATI in Southern California "makes" the 755 and 770 for them. I don't know who makes the 7100.

12. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    There's nothing wrong with a B-Stock unit.. Save yourself some $$$$

13. Dennis Gardner

It been the topic of conversation for a couple weeks over on The Outlaw Saloon.

14. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Hi John,

I waited longer than 30 days for my 950. Purchased one of the two Outlaw amps I currently own as A B-stock unit. Also purchased an SVS sub as B-stock.

NO problems with either B-stock units, and I enjoyed the price break. (more money for cables!)

In fact with companys with proven track records for good customer service. (Outlaw & SVS, etc). It has crossed my mind it could be safer to purchase b-stock as the units have been pre-diastered [​IMG] so to speak (or a return and the unit was checked out under demo and did work).

There will be a certain amount of any new product in electronics which will malfuntion no matter the quality control. A b-stock unit should have been verified as funtioning correctly.

I waited close to a year for my Outlaw...the decision worked very well for me, NOT to jump to an instock unit from another manuf. (almost did many times). The wait gave me time to demo more units, so I was more sure of the Outlaw purchase when I finally received it.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

16. John Menoni

Kevin, thanks for the reccomendation. Unfortunately that Amp is out of my price range. I would love to go with a Lexicon Pre/Pro and Amp all THX certified to go with my M&K 150 system. I just can't afford the speakers and a Pre/Pro/Amp package that costs thousands of dollars. I have a feeling that when I get my new speakers hooked up with my new Outlaw pre/Pro/amp and the SVS PB12 Plus 2 amp, I will be totally blown away. I have a pretty small room for all this great equiptment. I'm sure the Outlaw stuff will be great.

17. Charlie Phogg

Charlie Phogg Auditioning

I hope they either continue the 7100 or have a replacement in that price range/output range. I've been using my new 7100 for about a month now with an Ascend/HSU 6.1 system and have been very satisfied with the performance. The Ascends are fairly efficient I have found the 100W x 7 to be more than adequate for my needs.

18. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

Emo

Rich

19. John Menoni

I am going with the B-stock 7100 and the 990 pre/pro. I can't wait!!!

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Should make for a great system. [​IMG]