Outlaw 1070 Versus the field

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rick Westfall, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Outlaw 1070 is $899. Without going over a grand, is there another receiver I should consider that you believe is better?

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Outlaw makes great gear. I own the 990/770 combo and have nothing but praise for it. I have never heard the 1070 but the reviews have all been solid after they worked out some bugs. The only reason I wouldn't go with the outlaw was if it didn't offer a certain feature you were looking for, like HDMI upconversion or something. If not, I would say give it a try and if you don't like it you are only out shipping.

3. Rick Westfall

I'll get a little more specific. As I'm looking around, I found the Denon 3806 (new) for $999 shipped (add tax so about $1080). The Outlaw is $950 shipped. Based purely on specs, it appears the Denon is a little better. What am I not seeing or what do I need to know about?

4. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

The Harman Kardon 7300 can be had for $1k right now since it's being closed out for a newer model. Definitely something to consider.

5. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree. That thing is a beast!!!!!!!!!!! Heard it power an entire Rocket package and my jaw just dropped. Kinda wished I had the money if I did I would jump on that in a minute. The only thing that needs to be mentioned is that the 7300 only has component switching---there is no hdmi/dvi, and etc. Other than that it is absolutely fantastic!!!!!

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

If you are looking at the Denon 3806 I would look strongly at the brand new 2807 which is built on its platform but just added more power. I am probably going to buy that receiver for my parents for their new HT since they would really benefit from the HDMI upconversion.

7. Rick Westfall

The specs show that the 3806 is rated at 120 watts per channel while the 2807 is rated at 110 watts per channel. What am I missing?

8. Rick Westfall

Jed M...check your PM

Thanks
    Rick

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Rick, sent you a PM back.

Also, you are right. I meant to say its built on the 3806 platform but boosted the power from the previous model, meaning the 2806. My mistake for not clearly explaining that.

10. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

BTW, I was in no way taking anything away from Outlaw. I have had the opportunity to hear (3) of the mono blocks on a set of Axiom M80's and a set of M3Ti's wired in parrellel yielding a 4 ohm mono load. Thus, the M60's are already 4 ohm. Therfore, the front stage was getting 300 watts rms each. That is awesome!!!! And, let me just say the sound was absolutely breath-taking to say the least. I was also impressed with the HK7300 and how it powered the full Rocket package. IMHO, the 7300 is performing as well if not better than many seperates out there on the market.