Outlaw 1050's weaknesses

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad_Louis, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Chad_Louis

Chad_Louis Extra

in reviews of this unit, I have noticed several things that have been brought up as faults in this receiver: no component video switching, lack of 96-192 khz 24 bit DAC and no DTS-ES. My question is what are the real world connotations of this? Is it really anything that problematic? How does it affect music playback (what I would use my system for the most)? How do these problems affect its usefulness for playing movies?

2. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

I have one and really like it. I find the boggest problems are lack of component switching and not enough digital audio inputs.

I think that you can't find a better one for the price. I'm not sure you would want to use component switching unless you got a really expensive receiver anyways. I've read that a lot of the cheaper ones don't have enough bandwidth.

Bob

3. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I also have the 1050 and love it.

My biggest gripe is lack of video switching. I have an old TV that won't accept but one input at a time. So I must use the S-video only. But I also have an LD player and VCR. I can use the coax on the VCR but the LDP is just collecting dust until I get a better TV.

The sound is amazing though. I use Klipsch and the detail is incredible. I listen to everything. Movie's also sound terrific. Sound wise I can find no flaw. For those with extremely insensitive speakers you might want to try another receiver. But the 1050's 65w p/channel is a very strong 65w p/channel. Plus you can upgrade to a 5ch amp in the future when the bug bites.

The volume is a bit weird as it is very linear. I've never owned a received with volume like this one. It seems like I have it turned waaaay up but I don't. BUT, it can go very very loud. I tried once and it was way to loud and there was zero distortion. Now with my SVS subs it's absolutely perfect.

For the price it just can't be beat.

4. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

A couple of weaknesses that I have noticed:

1) Prologic mode is kinda stupid - the "surround channel" in prologic is meant to be an "ambience" channel, so they ought to be routing it to all of the rear speakers, including the center rear - but they don't.

2) It has problems with DTS.

2a) CDs that were encoded with the SurCode DTS encoder from minnetonka are often not recognized but play just fine on other DTS-capable receivers and DVD players. A friend (who also has a 1050) even mentioned this to the outlaws and pointed them at the example DTS wav file on the minnetonka website, which when burnt to disc clearly shows the problem. They did not appear to be interested and last I heard from him they had stopped responding to his emails. This is an issue for some people because SurCode has been used to create a lot of bootleg DTS CDs from old 70s quadraphonic recordings and those boots don't play well on a 1050.

2b) The 1050 likes to get stuck in DTS mode, if you have a CD changer and disc 1 is a DTS cd and disc 2 is a regular CD, and you just play right through, you won't hear disc 2, the 1050 will not recognize that it is a regular PCM bitstream and so never exits DTS mode.

3) There is no direct input for the rear-center channel, so you can not use the 1050 purely as an amp and still have access to that rear center.

I don't think lacking the 24-bit dac is a problem, it is the rare DVD that can make use of it, usually you will be outputing that type of material through the DVD player's analog outs anyway.