Outlaw 1050

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_PxR, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

A friend has one of these. He likes it. I have a crappy old receiver and am upgrading my system. I am going to play music 30 percent of the time and Home Theater 70%. Can I go wrong with this? Or should I continue looking? I know how important the receiver is--and I am going to have quality speakers (not sure which yet though[​IMG] )

2. Jefff

Jefff Agent

Greetings ! do some research.
    would highly suggest researching and reading some reviews on
    the Outlaw 1050 www.outlawaudio.com
    perhaps a little dated at this point,and no DPLII (if that really matters to you) but IMHO - unbeatable in the "best bang for your buck" category, don't let the watts fool you either-plenty o power---
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...readid=5767---
    Mr Epstein also had one before his upgrade,
    hopefully you'll get more replies-but more info is really needed (loudspeakers/room size etc.) of course IMHO.

CHEERS ! jefff

3. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I read those reviews. I was a bit surprised about only 65 Watts per channel....
    My room is about 18x20.8 with open walls to the rest of the house in 2 areas. I probably will have Boston VR950s with a good sub--maybe the SVS 25-31 PCi.

Is 65 Watts per channel going to be sufficient? How about 6.1--is it worth it to go that route-- 5.1?

Or should I just go with the SONY STR DA4ES for a bit more money?

Finally, what is DPLII? Thanks!

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

From reading on the outlaw don't worry about the watts.
    Note you can always add an amp to the Outlaw 1050 down the line if you feel you need more power.

6.1/5.1 well how many speakers are you going to own and how many do you want to own. Remember most dvd's are 5.1 so I wouldn't worry about that one too much

As far as DPLII go here: http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.P...nersGuide.html
    Everyone has there own opinion on this ...

As far as the SVS...well I just received mine - 25-31pci - this past Monday and WOW [​IMG] who needs bass shakers.....

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In most situations with most consumer speaker systems, 65 watts per channel is plenty. Don't get carried away with the more power = better line of reasoning.

If you were driving a truly demanding load and the theater were in a large room, greater power reserves would be nice. In your case, there's no need for prodigious power output.

As for Dolby ProLogic II, it's your call. I like having it, but I wouldn't lose much sleep if it weren't an option.

The 1050 is a great little receiver that does a lot for very little money. It may not feature the very latest sound-processing modes, but so what?