What's new

Outlaw 1050 vs Onkyo 595 (1 Viewer)

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
I think I have narrowed my receiver choice down to these two. I've never listened to the Outlaw, so I am going by all the positive press I have read. I'm leaning towards the 1050, but the 595 has a lot to offer as well. It seems the main difference feature-wise is that the 595 offer DPLII decoding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I watch very little broadcast TV and my VHS tape collection is small, so I don't see myself getting much use out of DPLII.

I would estimate that my listening habits are 70% music/30% HT.

One concern I have about the 1050 is that it will be discontinued soon. Not a huge deal, but if there is a new/improved version on the horizon I am willing to wait.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rude remarks?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got the 696, and considered the 595 and 1050. Here's a few thoughts:

Outlaw 1050 provides 6-channel amplification (with a 6.1 processor)

Onkyo 595 has DPLII, for much improved sound with Dolby Pro-Logic source material.

I use DPLII for music listening, but I've no idea if there are differences in the "sound" of an Onkyo vs. an Outlaw.

From what I've read, the Outlaw is a very nice receiver, with great bang-for-the-buck quality. But I chose the Onkyo, in part because of:

- Previous experience with Onkyo

- Able to check it out in a store locally, and buy it on sale

- Expect to use DPLII more than a 6.1 surround mode

- I thought the Onkyo was more attractive

BryanZ

Screenwriter
There are some noticeable difference between the two.

1. Onkyo has DPL II and A/B speaker selection. Those two items are its major advantage.

2. Outlaw's advantages are: 6.1. DTS-ES. Pre-outs for all channels. Adjustable crossover.

The adjustable crossover of the Outlaw to me gives it the advantage over the Onkyo. The Outlaw will be around for quite a while longer. If you must have DPL II and have a separate five channel amp, it is a no brainer. Save up and get the Outlaw 950. If you desire preouts and DPL II, go with the Denon AVR-1802. To me, it was harder to decide between the Outlaw and the Denon. Between the Outlaw and the Onkyo, the Onkyo sounds nuetral (towards the warm side) and the Outlaw sounds clean. That is how I would best describe it. Both are excellent receivers. Given the choices:

1. Outlaw. Preouts for all channels and adjustable crossover put it over the top. Better remote than the Denon.

2. Denon. LCR preouts put it over the Onkyo. Worst remote of the bunch.

3. Onkyo. Better remote than the Denon but no preouts and no adjustable crossover.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The only advantages the Onkyo has over the Outlaw is DPL2 and maybe a better remote - I haven't played with the Outlaw remote. Otherwise I'd think the Outlaw is the better receiver. But its about $140 more than the 595 so it should be better.

If you're trying to spend as little as possible and don't plan to add outboard amplification - Onkyo 595 and Denon 1802 are good bets.

If you're trying to spend as little as possible for now, but might add outboard amplification later - the Denon 1802 gets the nod.

If you don't mind spending more now and you don't need DPL2 - the Outlaw is the winner.

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input, guys.

I think I'm still leaning to the 1050, but the comments have gotten me more curious about DPLII. What sources is this typically used with, other than stereo music?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Re: DPL2 -- first, do a search and you should find plenty of threads about it.
I use DPL2 for music, TV, movies, video games -- basically all two channel source material (pro-logic or otherwise). The only material I don't use it for is when listening to the AM radio station (the local NPR station); for that I use a DSP mode meant for mono sources.
I *really* like DPL2. If you watch much TV or 2.0 surround movies (e.g. Terminator), play prev-gen or older video games, then I think DPL2 is more worthwhile than a DD6.1 decoder. Currently, there is much more material for it.
However, if you watch primarily newer DVD movies and only 2-channel music, then a 6.1 decoder (like the Outlaw has) is probably the better choice.
Now if the Outlaw had DPL2 as well... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks