What's new

Outlaw 1050 vs. Integra DTR-5.3 (1 Viewer)

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
Well, this is my first post on the forum. Have to say it's a great site and I am always finding new things to read that I didn't know before. :crazy: I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with these two units. I'll be finishing up my HT in the following couple of weeks and I've found myself stuck with these two choices of possible receivers. And specs/personal experiences with the Outlaw would be helpful. Thanks.
Ken

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
www.outlawaudio.com for all the info you could possibly want on the outlaw 1050....

the integra 5.3 will have more features, as it is much newer than the outlaw 1050

not having compared the two, I can't say, but I would bet good money on it that the outlaw sounds better in 2 channel...

Rich

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Welcome Ken,

I won the Outlaw 1050 a couple of years ago and it was a nice receiver for it's time (my first "6.1" receiver).

However, as time went on, I found more limitations with it.

First was that it generated an annoying hum in my sub when I used it as a video (S-Video) switcher. They (Outlaw)never could figure that one out.

Also, it had fewer digital inputs than I needed (DVD, Directv 5.1, CD)

It also lacks true DD 6.1 EX, DTS ES, or PLII that newer receivers offer. Also one of the DSP's has a glitch (or it did in my model)

Overall it sounded pretty good, not the best, but tolerable, other than the darn hum.

I ended up getting the Pioneer 811 and for the money, found it to be a very outstanding 6.1 receiver. It sounds great for music too, no matter what others say, it really sounds great IMHO..Of course, speakers play a big factor in the overall sound too. All I can say is I really like it's sound.

There are ample inputs and outputs and for less than $400, I doubt you can beat it.

Just my 2 cents..hope it helps.

Alf

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I'll stick with the Integra. Looks to be a good piece. I've had experience working the the Onkyo/Inetrga pieces before. I know "sort of" how to tweak them but, they don't need much tweakin' anyways.
Ken

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Integra DTR 5.3, it's a great unit. Great sound and build quality. I love it.

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
babek...What kind of speakers are your running with it. fronts, rears, center, subwoofer? What size room are you dealing with? I'll be ordering the unit in the following week but, I'd really love for you to elaborate on the 5.3 and how it sounds. Just tell me everything about it. What's easy/hard to setup about it. Anything you can think of. I'd love to hear it.

Ken

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Im running my 5.3 with Energy C5s in front, and Take 2.2s in the rear. I LOVE the Integra and always wonder why it doesnt get more love around here! It totally rocks the energys with a neutral, detailed sound. I compared it with the Denon 2802 and liked the 5.3 better.

The remote is best in its class, the set-up is very easy and very easy to change things too. Adjustable x-over(80,100,120hz), component switching(which I use, no problems) and a ton of other nice features.

I should add movies in DD or DTS rock the house too!!

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
I've had problems specifically with the Onkyo Sr500 it doesn't switch to Dolby or DTS auto like it should. Not even an option while watch Dvd's. My question is does the 5.3 switch automatically with out any problems. How does it sound in direct and stereo mode? Amazing? Any troubles that you've encountered?
Ken

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not running very good speakers.

I have SEL tower fronts (bet no one ever heard of those before)
a paradigm CC center
fluance rears
and a SEL rear center

My room is small too, about 12'x15'. Also, my dealer told me that home theaters start with receivers, and it's amazing how a very good receiver ,like the integra 5.3, can make any speakers sound good.

ill never forget this investment i made for this amazing receiver. full thumbs up!

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
oh right, i forgot to answer your other questions.

Well, setup was an ease because the on screen stuff is great. I was up and running in 5 minutes, and then made minor adjustments to the settings. I found that cinema filter is not for me, but it's great for people who don't like 'alive' sound. Also, the intellivolume thing is great, because it somehow brings out the volume even more without having to jackup the volume with the knob.

To top it off, the remote rocks. It's backlit and it's a learning remote. It has a great build, and sounds good even on radio surprisingly. It's also great for music, but I basically use it for movies. The ES and EX decoding on the unit is one of the best i've seen, really.

I hope i've answered your question.

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
Does it automatically switch to DD and DTS when it recognizes the signals? What are some of the functions you can perform with the OSD (On screen display) ? The older model Integra's don't contain "Intellivolume" what's this feature? If you don't mind explaining it. Thanks again for your help.

Ken

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Mine has no problems detecting DD or Dts at all. Like I said movies are awesome on it! Also would like to add that it remembers your settings for each input. For example I have my cable TV routed to VIDEO 2. I like to listen to cable through the 5 channel surround. So when I switch to VIDEO 2, it will automatically go into 5 channel mode. But when I switch to CD, it will automatically go back to 2 channel stereo, which is how I like to listen to CDs...pretty cool.

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
Sounds to be a fun unit to give some pretty great demos. My system that I've pieced together over the years is as follows: Paradigm Phantom V2., Atoms, CC270, and a Parts Express Daytona MKII 12" in a 3.9 cubic ft. (thinkin' of redoing the box and uping it to 7 ft. cubed) tuned to 19Hz if I remember correctly. Should be a nice "little" demo system. Especially on a poor arse college budget. :rolleyes

Ken

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
Intellivolume boosts individual channels, according to the people here at home theatre forums, but thats just another unique feature of this receiver and you keep playing iwht it until you get it to sound the way you want.

And yes, it switches automatically between DD and DTS, there is a problem where Dolby digital EX movies don't switch automatically, but thats okay because the movie has to be flagged with EX, meaning there is nothing wrong with the receiver.

I hope you will make the right choice and decide on the integra dtr 5.3, it's the best. By the way, that's a nice set of speakers you got there.

Ken Gardner

Auditioning
I'm thinking of "upgrading" the speakers to the new v3's but, other than that I'm set on the DTR 5.3 Before I was attempting to get my hands on a older Integra 7.1. When I found out that I couldn't, the DTR 5.3 caught my eye. The only real difference in the models is power and the 7.1 has pre outs for amps and such for each individual speaker I do believe. But I have to wait before I get my taxes back before I can purchase much right now...Ken=Poor. :frowning:
But that shouldn't last for long!
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks