1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Outlaw 1050 -vs- HK Signature 2.0/2.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerold Burrow, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Jerold Burrow

Jerold Burrow Auditioning

Greetings -
    Which one of these setups do you folks feel would be the better value? At $500 I hear the 1050 is an outstanding unit with above average build quality. The HK 2.0/2.1 combo (re-manufactured / re-warranted) was at one time HK's flagship setup -- now available for $1000 over at www.harmanaudio.com. From what I understand, HK is known for making excellent amps.
    Does anyone have first-hand experience with these two setups? All comments are welcome. Thanks!
    ------------------
    Jerold Burrow

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Sound quality wise the HK setup will stomp the outlaw reciever. The single feature the Outlaw has, that I wish the HK had was an adjustable LFE crossover. If you have bookshelf type speakers you wont miss it tho.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

You are comparing a thousand dollar receiver to a sub $500 one. Try comparing the HK to the Yamaha RX-V1000, Denon AVR-3802, Onkyo Integra DTR-7, and Marantz SR-7000 (perhaps SR-7200).

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I usually do not use words like stomp, blow away, etc. When comparing equipment, but the diffrence between these two pieces of gear is so great I felt is was justified.

5. Jerold Burrow

I realize the two setups should not be treated as if they were in the same class... I guess what I'm looking for is the better of the two system per dollar value.
    On one hand the 1050 is a $500 receiver with more bells and whistles, excellent build quality, and from what I understand great customer service.
    On the other hand the 2.0/2.1 was once HK's flagship pre/pro and amplifier setup originally retailing at $3000+ now available at $1000.
    Maybe a combination of both -- the 1050 + the HK's amplifier. [​IMG] Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
    ------------------
    Jerold Burrow

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Jerrold,
    Sounds like the decision is up to you, Depending how much you want to spend?
    BTW-I have an Outlaw 1050 and all I can say is [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But I have not compared it to a $3000 $1000 receiver either...
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on September 19, 2001 at 07:14 PM]

7. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

FWIW, anyone interested in the HK setup, I think JR has the set for cheaper than the Harman site. May be worth a look.
    Aaron

8. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

J&R were selling the preamp for 400.00 (referb) but are sold out.

9. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased the HK combo from JandR. I am very happy with it. For a 5.1 setup, you would be hard pressed to beat it for the money.
    I haven't heard the Outlaw, but it has a great reputation for build and sound. It does have more features than the HK combo, but it does not have the latest bells and whistles either.
    1) HK combo has much more power. 100W vs. 65W the amp alone weighs 11 lbs more than the 1050.
    2) Outlaw has flexible crossover vs. fixed at 100Hz for HK. Some people with all bookshelves find 100Hz a good fit. Others with floorstanding mains can't live without anything below 80Hz.
    3) Outlaw has limited 6.1 processing. Works only on DD, not on DTS.
    Both seem to be great deals for the dollar.
    If you can afford the HK combo I recommend it for its great build and sound, even with its limited feature set. If you need more features, you should probably be looking at the new Denon, Onkyo and Marantz models. Their $1K machines are really feature packed.

10. Jerold Burrow

Thanks a bunch for everyone's input. I still can't decide what to do, but at least I know that either choice would be a good one.
    ------------------
    Jerold Burrow

11. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

S&V tested the 1050 at about 63x5 wpc into 8 ohms, not bad. Most receivers will do about 1.5X into 4 ohms. The S&V test was only ~ 65x5 into 4 ohms...a very poor 1.0X ratio; and 65 watts into 4 ohms is very, very, very, very weak.
    Like someone else said, not even a close comparison. A fair comparison for the 2.0/2.1 combo would be the Denon 5700, Marantz SR18, or Sony 777ES, all $2-3k receivers.