What's new

Outlaw 1050 owners...how do yo like it? (1 Viewer)

MattJP

Agent
Everytime I think I am set on a reciever I find another one to look at. If I were to purchase the 1050, it is pretty much the top end of my budget range. I am a little concerned about the lack of component switching...but I dont ever have a tv yet with component inputs so it is not to big of an issue, when I purchase a TV I will just have to make sure it has 2 component ins (dvd, and xbox). Tell me about your reciever, are you happy with it? What do you like and dislike, would you buy it again? Is there something else in this price range you would go with if given the choice again?

Thanks
-Matt

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Guess you beat me to the punch Matt, didn't see your post until I posted. Anyway I too am curious how the Outlaw holds up to the latest and greatest budget receivers.

Rich

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I suspect you'll get a more balanced opinion here as opposed to the Outlaw saloon which tends (for good reason) to be very pro-Outlaw.

From what I understand the 1050 is a very impressive piece.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I haven't been avidly comparing my 1050 against the newer models - I plan to upgrade to separates, starting with an amplifier next.

But I've kept my eyes opened and seen quite a few sub-$500 receivers begin to catch up to the 1050. Whether any have surpassed it, however, is unknown to me (and, of course, dependent upon my particular needs).

That said, I've been nothing short of happy with this purchase. What do I like best about it and why did I choose it to begin with? That's easy. Sound quality. It excels for music and movies, but, particularly with music, it seems to easily surpass the other units in its price-range. This, of course, is subjective to a certain degree, and I've come across owners of Marantz and Harman Kardon receivers who prefer the character and quality of sound in their units to the Outlaw. The only way to know for sure what's best in your system is to test it. Fortunately, Outlaw gives you 30 days and all you have to lose is the relatively minimal shipping charges.

Second, bass management. Other sub-$500 receivers are catching up, but I'm not sure if there are any that offer the same degree of flexibility as the Outlaw, and there are many, far more expensive models that are far less flexible in this regard.

Third, 6.1 analog inputs. This all-important feature seems nearly ubiquitous today, but at the time of my purchase, very few budget-level receivers offered this. Likewise, Outlaw is no longer the only sub-$500 receiver that does 6.1. But things were not so only last year...

What do you give up if you go for a 1050? DSPs (including DPL-II). While I'd be interested in hearing DPL-II for television broadcasts and the rare "dolby surround" DVD in my collection, I don't muck up my audio sources with DSPs. I prefer total transparency. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks