What's new

Outlaw 1050 or Denon AVR-1803? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only problem I have with the outlaw is you are better off finding a person locally to demo it compared to a Denon if you can. The Outlaw return policy is fine but you are out shipping which works out to be like $30 to $50 which will make your total cost MORE if you choose the Denon.

and the Pioneer 811 is all but unlistenable IMO
I agree with this but again different strokes.

These above are reasons enough to decide for yourself. Features wise I think you will end up using DPL II and DTS ES discrete more than you think. I honestly don't think you can expect a whole lot for under $500.

John Browett

Auditioning
Well, we certainly stirred some lively debate there. One of the points somebody mentioned was the age of the Outlaw. My current set up has lasted about 10 years (no HT capability), and so whatever I buy now will be around for at least the next five years. I don't have the money to go upgrading regularly, so from that perspective, the Denon certainly seems like a better option, as it has a longer life ahead of it.

Let's really throw the cat amongst the pidgeons; since someone mentioned a Pioneer receiver, if we throw open the selection to any product at the $500 mark, what would anyone choose? Is there something else out there I should also be considering?

(BTW, I must not be used to this level of components, because to me, $500 still seems like a LOT of money!)

Thanks!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
John,

I would personally save up a bit more and get a better reciever but you have what amount you are willing to spend so we must go on that.

Given that, I'd buy the 1803 and not look back.

When it's all said and done, the cost of shipping is often cheaper than free advice.
This is true but let's look at it this way. When you buy the Outlaw and look at it and take it home etc, you are going to convince yourself to keep it whether you like it or not. The cost of shipping will convince you to keep it because who wants to pay x# of dollars to return something that they will not get to use? Meanwhile they can go down to x store in their town and buy a receiver, take it home and listen and in most cases if it doesn't fit their needs they can return it and they are out a couple bucks in gas.

I know a person who bought one and indeed did keep the receiver not because he liked it but because he didn't want to pay the return shipping. Ideally that is why he should look at audioenvy or find someone locally to audition the piece with to decide if he wants to buy one or not. Perhaps he can even get someone else to bring it over(not likely but who knows).

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
At the $500 retail price point, I would choose either the Denon AVR-1803 or the Onkyo TX-SR600. Very similar features and specs. Both offer 6.1 processing and power. The Onkyo offers a learning remote if that is an issue for you. Go give both a listen...

BrianAe

Second Unit
The Denon or the Onkyo SR600. I compared them both and found them to be very similar. I went with the Onkyo because of better price (got for under 400 in a package) and better remote. Stay away from the lower end Denon 1603 and Onkyo SR500 though. I looked at em but you lost a lot in both cases for the cost savings.

RAJOD

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Its 2014 and had to chime in on this old thread. I just dusted off my old 1050 amp. I find it hillarious people agonizing over to get the 1050 or the Denon.

I have them all. Even a newer Denon 3313c and that 1050 sounds better.

It just does not have hdmi. The power section of that reciever will hang with 1000+ seperate amplifiers. I could never get that 1050 to clip, it seemed to have a endless power well. A Denon 1802 or 1803 is a toy in comparison. They cheaply built, tiny heat sinks, tiny capacitors.

The 1050 is a beast. Its 70 watts somehow sounds better than my 3313c 130 watt per channel. Maybe due to its capacitor size not sure.

DTS-ES lol, its no big deal. I would rather have standard DTS 5.1 with a 1050 than some other encoder with puny amplifier section.

And the 1050 shines as a pure 2 channel stereo amplifier, no contest here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks