What's new

Outlaw 1050 enough power for Para 100's? (1 Viewer)

BobPeck

Agent
I live in a condo and won't be playing the sound as loud as msot of you (or I would like!) However, I wanted to make sure the Outlaw 1050 I just got was enough for condo listening.
So, I went to a local Paradigm Refernce dealer today and they (very graciously) let me take in my Outlaw 1050 receiver to test a pair of Studio 100's out.
Two pieces of music I was listening to were Bach's Cello Suite No1 (Prelude) and Diana Krall's (jazz) "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" (piano, upright bass, drums)
I was impressed with the bass & mid-bass response (especialy for only 70wpc in stereo mode) but was a little troubled by the high piano keys being hit in the Krall song. They sounded like they could've been distorting a bit.
They hooked them up back to the Sony separates they were using, but I didn't have enough time to test them out as long as I did with the Outlaw. . . .
Is this a power problem, or something else (recording quality, speaker damage, using my Pioneer DV-414 as a CD-player, etc.)? I was under the impression that power was mostly needed to drive the bigger drivers, and not the 1" dome tweeter (where most of the sound was coming from when she started playing the piano again after the drum solo.)

John Cain

Second Unit
Nope.. It will work, but you are only hearing 1/3 of the speaker's capability.
Most folks recommend at least 300 Watts to get the most out of the 100's.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks