What's new

Outlaw 1050 - Audio Characteristics (1 Viewer)

Jerold Burrow

Auditioning
I was wondering if anyone could describe the audio characteristics of the Outlaw 1050 for me? For example, I've heard Yamaha receivers described as bright/non-musical, and Marantz receivers as musical/laid back.
I currently own the following:
Yamaha rx-v420 (av receiver)
PSB Image 5T (Mains)
PSB Image 9C (Center)
PSB Image 2B (Surrounds)
PSB Subsonic 6 (Sub)
When I watch some movies (O Brother, Where Art Thou? for example), by the end of the movie my ears feel like they're about to bleed. I'm not sure if this is due to the brightness of the receiver or the speakers (aluminum tweeters)... probably both.
Since I won't be changing my speakers anytime soon, I'm in the market for a new receiver. Would the Outlaw 1050 suit me or should I look for something (not Yamaha) with the Re-EQ feature? I currently listen 70 HT/30 Music.
Facts and theories are welcome. Thanks!
------------------
--
Jerold Burrow

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The Outlaw 1050 is less bright than the Yamahas. The PSB speakers may be contributing to the brightness as well. I know their in-wall speakers have a switch to reduce the tweeter level, if yours have this, try switching it to the low position.
Overall, the 1050 is excellent for music and HT reproduction. Tighter bass, better imaging, clear (but not so harsh) highs, compared to most other receivers in that price range. You'd have to go with a high-end receiver or separates (lots more $$$) to match the 1050 in sound quality.
KJP

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If your PSB speakers are new, they can take some time to work in. Apparantly after sometime, they should sound less harsh with the highs. That is what many PSB owners have said. No, his speakers have no tweeter adjust on the speaker.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
I had the Yam 2095 and Outlaw 1050 in house for comparison. I found both receivers very similar in Sound playing over my NHT S1's on HT and Music. I remember getting into the whole Bright/Mellow characteristics of receivers. I carted my NHT's and Yam receiver all over town trying to determine if there is much sound difference between receivers. I tested Yam, Denon, Marantz and the Outlaw. Did not find much of a difference at all and could never tell you which one is playing if I left the room and came back in. I am not trying to say there is not any difference in receivers but it's very subtle to my ears. Maybe a better test would be to live with two different receivers for a long period of time and try to pick out the subtle differences? Some software is just plain recorded bright.
In the end I kept the 2095 only because I was getting such a great deal on price. If I was paying retail I would have the Outlaw which is a fine well built machine.
Good luck on your search,
Bob

David Judah

Screenwriter
I think it probably is a combination of both. The Yamahas generally are a bit more up front and the PSBs, like some of the other popular Canadian brands, tend to emphasize the high midrange and treble frequencies(not necessarily bad, just a different design choice).
Besides the Outlaw, you could try a "warmer" sounding receiver like one of the new Denons or Pioneer Elites.
DJ
[Edited last by David Judah on August 07, 2001 at 03:13 PM]

Samson

Stunt Coordinator
Try Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX if you want to offset the 'bright, forward' sound of your system. The Elites definitely have much more laid back and warmer sound compared to other receivers. I've tried the Onkyo 696 and absolutely had to turn it off and return it. The Onkyo was much too bright and fatiguing to my ears compared to the Elite. And the Onkyo costs $200 more. Check out the rave reviews on audioreview on the Pioneer Elites. The best part about the Elite 33TX is that it could be had for around $500. Receivers definitely make a big diffrence.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Your speakers are 95% of the problem IMO, changing receivers will help out very little if any.
Sell your speakers and get something warmer sounding.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
When I watch some movies (O Brother, Where Art Thou? for example), by the end of the movie my ears feel like they're about to bleed. I'm not sure if this is due to the brightness of the receiver or the speakers (aluminum tweeters)... probably both.
Why don't you get a receiver with THX or THX-like re-equalization? Remember that movie soundtracks are mixed for movie theaters not your living room. Any accurate receiver with brightish or flat speakers will sound harsh with some mixes.
I think it's a feature that's too often overlooked here.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
My 2 cents.
Your speakers are an unlikely source of the problem.
PSB makes some of the finest speakers for the money, period.
"Bright" sound and metal tweeters share nothing in common. Some of the most expensive speakers use metal drivers.
The problem could be the combo of your room,
your speaker placement and the materials your
room is made of and contains.
The receiver and/or your DVD player are likely sources of your ear bleeds as well.
Inexpensive receivers are asked to do a lot for the money they cost.
Most inexpensive/medium priced DVD players really do suck at reproducing natural sound.
BTW, how loud are you cranking your system?
I don't recall OBWAT being especially loud or filled with many FXs.
If possible, borrow a receiver or 2 from your friendly dealer for a weekend and do some extended comparisons.
I'm seriously considering the Outlaw myself as a carry over until I can go to separates. Seems to be a lot of performance for a really decent price.
Have fun!!

TomH

Second Unit
Does a receiver get its sound characteristic from the preamp section or amplifiers? Do you see (hear) much difference in sonic characteristics among pre/pros in the same class? If you take a typically "bright" receiver such as Onkyo and mate it with a "warm" amp such B&K what would you expect?
Tom

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
If you take a typically "bright" receiver such as Onkyo and mate it with a "warm" amp such B&K what would you expect
'bright' or 'warm' sound depending on your SPEAKERS characteristics. Good Receivers, pre-amps, amps, are designed to have a flat frequency response across the entire audible Frequency spectrum.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Jerold Burrow

Auditioning
Thanks for all of the responses!
The more I think about it, the more I see myself picking up a new receiver w/Re-EQ (Marantz or Denon). Upgrading the speakers just isn't in the cards right now... besides, I was planning on picking up a higher end receiver anyway.
Regarding the volume levels, I usually set it so that dialog is just a tad louder than live conversation levels. Does anyone else have rule of thumb for setting the volume level?
Regards,
------------------
--
Jerold Burrow

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks