Outlaw 1050 as pre/pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertH B, Jan 19, 2002.

1. RobertH B

RobertH B Auditioning

Over the holidays I picked up some paradigm studio 100's, studio center, studio 20's, and a pw2200. Since then I've been a member of the gang waiting on the Outlaw 950. I think I've decided to bag it mainly because I want to hear my new speakers and also because I think 1394/Havi/dvi might be worth waiting for.

Anyway, I'm now looking at using an Outlaw 1050 as a preamp to go with an Outlaw 750 or Anthem MCA-5 Amp. The other options I'm considering are an HK sig 2.0, Sherwood AVP-9080, and a Marantz AV-560. Here's how I would rank them,

1) Outlaw 1050 - 6.1, good faetures and reviews, better future options with on board amps

1, tie) HK sig 2 - more dig in's, good features

3) AVP-9080 - good all around, but only 1 optical and 1 coax

4) AV-560 - not as full featured, awesome remote

My impression is that they're all capable performers although I haven't read a lot about the outlaw as a pre/pro. It would seem that for $500 including amps the 1050 would have to suffer as a pre/pro against the others. All lack DPL2 but oh well. My listening will be 50/50 movies and music. All comments (or rankings?) greatly appreciated. Since I'm also still on the fence on the amp, any comments there are also appreciated.

2. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Here is apicture of a 1050 acting as a pre/pro with a 750 in real life. [​IMG] They're driving a set of four Boston Acoustic VR-M50's, one Boston Acoustic VR-12 and a *cough* Radio Shack Minimus 7 (center surround) *choke* *gasp* [​IMG]
    The 750 is driving the Boston's and the 1050's Center Surround amp is driving the "other" speaker. :p
    Sounds awsome to me, my family and friends. As always, your milage my vary.

3. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I'd like to know how it sounds in 6.1 as I have two Acurus 200x3 amps just waiting for 6.1.

Craig

4. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Craig,
    I can only get DD6.1 since I don't have my DVDP connected to the 1050 via the analog inputs. However, in DD6.1 ... depending on the movie (i.e.; The Mummy) ... the sense of being completely surrounded ... it's really enjoyable! [​IMG]
    FYI the DDEX flag is automatically detected on JP3 and the 1050 kicks right into 6.1 mode. Not that that movie's really worth the effort, but ... [​IMG]

5. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Robert:

I was in the same boat. I went with a HK AVR520 receiver for the following:

DPLII, Logic 7 (my personal preference) for 5.1 OR 7.1 set-ups, DTS ES, HDTV video switching, 8 channel input, multi-zone complete with zone 2 remote, DTS 6.1 matrix & discrete, 5 digital inputs.. 2 optical 2 coaxial on rear and one optical input/output on front panel, MP3 decoding, pre-outs for all 8 channels, onscreen numerical volume display that also shows video input and DSP mode, bass management 40,60 crossover (large, mains full range)with sub, or 60, 80 (small) mains crossed at 60 or 80 plus sub.

All that for about 500.00 seemed like a good interim solution. I'm using it as a pre-pro with a Rotel 1075 amp, and I'm runing Paradigm Studio speakers as well.

Phil

6. RobertH B

RobertH B Auditioning

Thanks to all for the posts.

Although the HK looked a bit more full featured, I decided to go for the "family" purchase and picked up the 1050 for $450 along with a 750 (that's a lot of 50's). When my name eventually pops up on the 950 wait list I guess I'll have another decision to make.

Now for the cabling. Does anyone know if a Radio Shack 42-2679 which is a "3ft digital audio cable" is the right cable for my pre/pro to amp analog connection. It seems to have the right specs: solid conductor, double shielded, gold connectors.