Outlaw 1050 as pre-out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jiang, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

Happy New Year!
    I just can not control myself over the holidays, so I pull the trigger and bought a Sherbourn 5/1500A, thanks for all the review here. I have not got it. but my mind is already on the next one [​IMG]
    Currently I have the outlaw 1050 and plan to use it as a pre-amp feeding into the sherbourn, now outlaw just release the 950 which support a lot more formats. But I really don't need all that. All I want is decent decoder and pre-out for DTS and DD5.1 plus stereo. If there is the case, does 1050 and 950 have the same audio quality?
    In other words, if you pay more $$$ for a pre-amp, is it because of the added feature, or because of the improvement of sound quality? I can not audition all the stuff I want, and have to rely on you guys to help me!
    p.s. I bought some AR interconnect (6') to connect the outlaw and sherbourn, should that be good enoguh or I have to fork over a fortune for those fancy interconnect? I am really not a believer on the interconnect, but since the signal is analog out of the preamp, maybe it matters?
    Martin

2. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

If you are happy with the way your 1050 works, sounds, and handles music and HT, then use it as a pre/pro until you decide you want or need other features.

Moving up to a pre/pro or buying a new receiver as a pre/pro will get you the newest processing and surround formats. After having my 950 for 4 months, I will say that upgrading was worth it just for PLII. PLII is much closer to DD5.1 than Pro Logic is, and for TV viewing it is MUCH better.

The choice is yours, but if you are happy, keep the 1050.

3. MaxMenon

MaxMenon Stunt Coordinator

Get the Denon AVR-2802 ... it has everything that the AVR-2803 has ... so is the best bang for the buck.

BTW ... it has 7.1 preouts ... but you can use its own amplifier for surrounds ... and feed the mains to a higher end poweramp (like I do).

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Your interconnects should be fine.

I agree with Bill. There's no need to rush into a pre-pro. I've done both and, to me, the most significant upgrade was adding a dedicated power amp. If you like the sound and it has the features you want, stay with it. At some point in the future, the right deal for the right piece of equipment might just pop up. Buy at that time.