What's new

Outlaw 1050 and SVS 20-39PC+ (1 Viewer)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Anyone running them together? My SVS is arriving tomorrow and I'm curious as to how (if any) people are setting them up (crossovers/ICBM/Mains Large/Small/etc).

BryanZ

Screenwriter
What are your mains? I've got a 1050 and a 20-39. My crossover is set at 80Hz.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Klipsch RF-3s (RC3II, RS3s).

Currently I have the RF3s set to small, the Outlaw at 60Mhz and the SUB (KSW12) at 120Mhz.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Well I've had the SVS 20-39PC+ up and running for 2 days now and :emoji_thumbsup:WOW:emoji_thumbsup: (a co-worker commented on how you could wear it as a barrel ;)
I'm having some calibration issues though.
As previously stated, I'm running Klipsch RF-3s, RS-3s, RC-3II with an Outlaw 1050. I've set all speakers to small, LFE 'on', -15db sub trim on the Outlaw, Outlaw crossover set to 60Mhz, SVS 20-39PC+ corner loaded, SVS crossover disabled, SVS phase at 180 (though I did not hear much of a difference with any setting), Gain is a tad more than half, calibrated via VE/Avia (back and forth) and a RatShack SPL. There is still BIG bass to be had, I'm just not finding the happy 'blend'.
Would setting the outlaw crossover to 80 yield much difference? (I'm not sure that my RF-3s would be better off passing that off to the SVS or not).
It feels like I have the Outlaw Sub trim really low, the lowest it can go, this a good thing or a bad thing? Better to have the Sub do it all or turn the sub down and boost the Amp feed a bit?
I also noted a good amount of grounding hum (maybe?) with the SVS crossover disabled (goes away when set to enabled), it gets louder as the gain is increased as well. Not hum from across the room, just when it's quiet, you can hear it when you are a few feet from it.

Duvall

Agent
Quoting Tim Hess:
>>I also noted a good amount of grounding hum (maybe?) with the SVS crossover disabled (goes away when set to enabled), it gets louder as the gain is increased as well. Not hum from across the room, just when it's quiet, you can hear it when you are a few feet from it.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I would advise against keeping the sub trim on the 1050 trimmed pinned at -15. Calibrate it somewhere between -5 and -10 and if that means the SVS volume knob is less than half way, so be it. Then, you have leeway to trim it above or below calibrated depending on the situation. Late at night, someone sleeping- trim down to -12 or -15. Not satisfied with the intensity of the bass ? Trim it hot to 0 or plus 5. No need to keep it at the calibrated level all the time- thats just the intensity chosen by the mixing engineer, and (s)he is just a human, not a dictator.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I've got what I think might be the happy medium, Outlaw set to crossover 80Hz, subtrim at -5, with the SVS two notches below half, calibrated with Avia. I think I will up the SVS to one notch below half just for some kick.

More as it happens!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tim,

This could be an instance of the crossover (being enabled) simply lowering the offending freqs a dB or two. That doesn't sound like much...but lowering 60hz a couple of dBs could seem like a subjective halving of the output. Factor in how much more sensititive the human ear is to 60hz compared to say 20hz( about 30dBs I think)...and it wouldn't surprise me if the humming did audibly change a bit with each setting. Ideally, we could trace the groundloop to its source though. Have you tried 3-2 prong adaptors on anything that might introduce a gain stage in the system? How about disconnecting the Sat/Cable feeds to check those?

TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks