What's new

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On News DVD (READ GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING) (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Made for a terrif double feature with Orwell Rolls In His Grave (also currently-available on DVD) last Fri. night at the Laemmle Fairfax here in L.A.

-p

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched this today. Didn't really tell me anything I didn't know although it may be an eye opener to some (probably the same people who watch Fox News and believe it is 'fair and balanced').

Bill O'Reily is clearly a special needs wack job.I don't have a problem with Fox News being allowed to broadcast - this is a democracy and free speech etc but please stop pretending that you are a 'news' channel. This is a propaganda and entertainment channel. How ironic that the Nazis were the first people to do this successfully?

There is not much point in discussing the movie further as it will just get censored here but just get hold of a copy and try to educate your friends.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

You need to go back a whole lot farther than the Nazis—certainly the Greeks were pretty good at this. Pretty much every society has justified their actions by painting the other guys (as bad) using propaganda.

In the case of the UK, you might do a bit a reading as to their view of Germans and Germany during WWI. ;)

In any case, check out the 'movies' area. Start a thread on this one, if one does not exist already. So long as the discussion is centered on the movie’s content, discussion is not censored.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Please do not start any threads in Movies. Most people are seeing this on DVD, and this thread is sufficient.

M.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

OUTFOXED just barely scratches the surface. In fact, just last night on the Radio Factor, he launched into the latest of many foamers about the movie, claiming he, too, could do a "cut and paste" job to make anybody look bad, which is true, but in no way proves the makers of OUTFOXED are inherently wrong. His only solid example so far, and he's been slagging the movie almost nightly for weeks, involves the clip of him telling the gay kid to "shut up about it," when what he really said was something like "if you don't want to be bothered by it, why don't you just shut up about it around the school?" Score one for O'Reilly, but there are so many other clips in that staggerinly funny montage that he can't so easily brush off.

I was an avid Fox watcher for a good couple years (as part of a balanced diet with other news sources) until about two years ago, when I switched to newspapers and magazines almost exclusively for my news (love the long form; always have). At first, I must admit, I liked the network's visual flare and presentation style of the news - essentially the entertainment angle mentioned by someone else - but as I watched more and more of the discussion programs (like O-Reilly, Hannity, Special Report and, especially the awful Fox & Friends in the morning), I realized not only that the far-right lean was suspiciously too far away from my own politics, but that "my politics" were rarely afforded the same pulpit-time as the dominant system, and those who did voice an even remotely centrist or liberal viewpoint were often quite weak in their presentation, less telegenic than their conservative combatants, or repeatedly shouted down.

That all of this is covered so succinctly in OUTFOXED should, as Duncan mentioned, not really surprise anyone except those who only watch Fox News and accept everything they gurgle out as absolute certain gospel, and I truly don't think there's that many ignorant people out there. But, then again, I could be wrong.

Love the movie, by the way. I've loaned it out to a friend, but will probably watch it again as soon as I get it back at week's end. Sure, it's as propagandistic as its subject in many ways, and barely qualifies as documentary filmmaking, but perhaps we live in an age where polemics like this and 9/11 and SUPER SIZE ME are the only remaining way to get a common sense point across.

Portions outside the guidelines deleted by moderator. Stick to the film, please.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I was more bothered by the fact that he[Glick] actually accused the president of having something to do with 9/11,yet he had no evidence to back it up Essentially using his own father's death to further his political agenda.Yet this guy was treated with "sympathy" in this movie.Talk about distorsion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

He did no such thing. If you listen to what the kid says in the film and/or read the ad to which he signed his name, the claim isn't made that the president had anything to do with the events of 9/11.

I recently watched Network and was struck by how much that movie predicted the style of Fox News -- the entertainment of news, the flash and lack of substance, the propaganda.

The two films would make an excellent double-feature.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well that's my point, the film didn't show the whole interview,which clearly shows what this kid said.

Portions outside the guidelines deleted by moderator. Stick to the film, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks