Outer Limits - why wasn't the original pilot included?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

There were 2 episodes of the original Outer Limits series that would have made nice extras on the season sets. One is the original pilot, Please Stand By, which is basically the first episode, The Galaxy Being. Opening and closing credits are different and the pilot only runs about 44 minutes. The other is the alternate version of The Forms of Things Unknown which was shot with a different ending as a pilot for a series called The Unknown. This exists with Unknown opening and closing credits as well as the alternate ending. Just wonder if MGM even knew of the existence of these 2 or not. It's still not too late, maybe they could put it out as collector's disk.

2. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

There were 2 episodes of the original Outer Limits series that would have made nice extras on the season sets. One is the original pilot, Please Stand By, which is basically the first episode, The Galaxy Being. Opening and closing credits are different and the pilot only runs about 44 minutes. The other is the alternate version of The Forms of Things Unknown which was shot with a different ending as a pilot for a series called The Unknown. This exists with Unknown opening and closing credits as well as the alternate ending. Just wonder if MGM even knew of the existence of these 2 or not. It's still not too late, maybe they could put it out as collector's disk.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It would have been nice -- sort of the way The Twilight Zone pilot was included in the Image set. My thinking, though, is that MGM didn't really put much thought into these boxsets. Originally, only the first season was planned for release on DVD, but its unexpectedly good sales performance caught the studio by surprise. What began as a mere run-through-the-motions release became a hit.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It would have been nice -- sort of the way The Twilight Zone pilot was included in the Image set. My thinking, though, is that MGM didn't really put much thought into these boxsets. Originally, only the first season was planned for release on DVD, but its unexpectedly good sales performance caught the studio by surprise. What began as a mere run-through-the-motions release became a hit.

5. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I might be wrong, but didn't MGM/UA put these (or, at least, Please Stand By) out on VHS when they released the whole series on single cassettes over 10 years ago?

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I might be wrong, but didn't MGM/UA put these (or, at least, Please Stand By) out on VHS when they released the whole series on single cassettes over 10 years ago?

7. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Negative. Neither has ever been commercially released. I got my copy of Please Stand By from someone who got a print from Joseph Stefano years ago.

8. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Negative. Neither has ever been commercially released. I got my copy of Please Stand By from someone who got a print from Joseph Stefano years ago.