What's new

Outer Limits (Original Series) - Why Rereleased? (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Scott, Private Dix's mom will be pleased to know that you think so highly of her son.

Last night I watched "The Human Factor" and had forgotten how good the print quality is. Conrad Hall's phototography is definitely the best thing about the episode (though the performances of the three leads are excellent) and I love that early shot of Harry Guardino's exit from the ice station which goes from a full body shot to a close-up of just his eyes--so quintessentially OL. Great Frontiere score in this one and am really looking forward to hearing it on CD. Man, if only "The Man Who Was Never Born", "O.B.I.T." and so many others looked as good as "Human Factor" for fine grain and contrast. So, yes, echoing what Wayne wrote, I really hope a remastered Blu-Ray set comes our way soon.

And Wayne, when you get to disc 3, let me know about "The Borderland". As represented on CD, it seems very short with just the 1 track.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

My feeling is that if I want to hear the music PLUS the sfx, I might as well watch the show. It's a completely different experience to enjoy the music separate, but you still get the whole flow of the story, suspense, jolts, romantic cues, denoument, etc. As I listen commuting in the car, it's like a very unique classical music station, with suites that tell a story, such as Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre" or Rimsky-Korsakov's "Night On Bald Mountain."

Yeah, there's only one cue from "The Borderland" and it's probably the one Michael referenced, but I will check it out today.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nicely put. One of the criteria used by some musicologists and music theorists to determine whether a piece of music will stand the test of time has to do with its ability to stand alone--that is to say, not necessarily be tied to the visual (in the case of film and television) or programmatic elements. I have found that many works (particularly those that need words to convey a message) often fall short of the mark musically. The texts may be superb, but somehow the musical elements are lacking. (Lacking is a subjective statement on my part.) It is rare to find a perfect marriage of text and music, although IMO Monteverdi knew how to do it very well!

BTW, although suites that tell a story (or contain other narrative elements) can be wonderful, I find that just listening to either of the works you mention above often rewards the listener quite amply on an aural level. :emoji_thumbsup:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

"The Borderland" track on CD 3 (track 18) runs about 6:29 and is the big finale. I haven't watched the episode recently, but perhaps some other cues in the episode were too similar, so this was used as the definitive track. It's very "Bolero-esque" in that it's the single note that keeps building and adding instrumentation, strings to horns, to a climax (excuse my non-musician description). It's also a fitting finale for the 3-cd collection since it's is the crescendo to end all crescendos for TOL music cues. The final track after that is just a third alternate version of the end credit music. With that Borderland track, you go out with a 'bang' on this set. Ravel (and Dudley Moore) would be proud (and exhausted).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another advantage of the soundtrack is to be able to listen to the music at a sustained level without it dropping under the dialogue cues. I know this is an obvious facet of soundtracks, but when the cues are so memorably entwined with a scene, there's a sense of breaking them free when you hear them uninterrupted.

I just re-watched "The Man Who Was Never Born" for the first time in many years and had the pleasure of being joined for the viewing by my 11 year-old son, who has not watched TOL since I screened "The Mice" with him at age 7 and it gave him nightmares for a week. This time we had much better results with me pointing out the romantic theme cues as they played (in every Shirley Knight scene), which we had just listened to in the car on the cd. His eyes kind of lit up ever time he recognized a cue. It was a great dad TOL fan moment.

The very surrealistic ending of Knight fading into the stars alone in the capsule seat left him a little stressed. He's not quite old enough to appreciate the art of a tragedy. He asked what happened to her. I said, she probably landed on auto-pilot in the future Earth and everything was okay. Later, I ran to my David Schow edition, which I also hadn't looked at in years, and, sure enough there was a happy ending shot for the episode which never aired. She wakes up on a grassy field and a futuristic hover-car goes by with a smiling man and she asks him where she is, and it's London in 2148 A.D. At that point, as a viewer, I suppose you could have interpreted the story as; she lived in the future and just woke up from a dream of the story, or; ... she did land safely in a future saved by her leaving with Andro. My son was very happy to hear this ending.

Two other things I noticed while watching this episode again were; the image wasn't as bad as I remember when I first got the set and was disappointed. Maybe some episodes are better than others. Or maybe my Panasonic Blu-ray is doing a remarkable job of upconversion.

I also noticed that the hazy, dream-like quality of the photography (which I always assumed to be vaseline on the lens, but the Schow book says was draped silk) is very consistent with ANY time Martin Laundau appears in non-deformed form. I used to think it was just in the medium and close up scenes where he had momentarily hypnotized someone to see his 'normal' appearance. But it's also in the master shots as they rush through the woods. The leaves looking down from above all have that blurred image frame around the center. And whenever he appears as Andro, the image suddenly becomes sharp all around.

To me, the thing that distinguishes great classic television DVDs from just the fun of shows we have nostalgia for - to see again, if only once - is that repeated viewings keep on giving back something else in the best ones. The quality on all levels is sustained and timeless. The story, the acting, the music, the photography. The Outer Limits has that. And, if can hold the interest of an 11 year-old boy in 2008 who normally HATES black & white, let alone anything remotely talky, well, like I may have mentioned before ... it's still working its magic.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Thanks, Wayne. As I did watch "The Borderland" last week, I can tell you that it does feature a very spare score which seems to work well for what is a very scientific and clinically styled episode. When the drawn out finale does arrive, the music sets the stage and is really brought to the fore as little music is heard in prior acts. Mainly what I noticed are the short musical "stings", which obviously would be difficult to put onto a listenable track. As mentioned above the one lengthy cue I detected can be heard in an early scene where Mrs. Palmer (psychic) and Mr. Sawyer attempt to discredit one another.

P.S. - I enjoyed reading about your recent experiences with your son on "Man Who Was Never Born". My own son is 7 and I hope to see if he can appreciate OL half as much as his Dad can by the time he's around 10 or 11. IMO, Martin Landau as the normal Professor Andro was never photographed better in his career than he was in this episode. The close up shot of him as he's "handing" Mrs. McClusky rent money is very memorable in how it captures his lupine features. My favorite scene in the episode occurs when Andro converses with Betram Cabot Sr. on the house front porch.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
And this is the primary reason (in this case, repeated listenings) why I continue to listen to and analyze certain works of music repeatedly over the years. Well said. :)

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf

To me, this is one of OL's most memorable and powerful cues, used at the climax of many first-season episodes. My knowledge of music theory is minimal (I'm just a self-taught amateur rock guitarist), but OL's "Big Finish" track sounds like perhaps not just a single note so much as a perfect fifth (or maybe even parallel fifths, which are fifths stacked on top of fifths -- I think), ascending chromatically (slowly going up just note/one single half-step [or one guitar fret, or one piano key] at a time). So simple, yet so effective -- both dramatic and evocative at once.

And as much as I love Frontiere's rich scores, I too would also love to have a CD of Lubin's eerily haunting cues from OL's second season. Never seen any ONE STEP BEYOND episodes, but I might have to pick up one of those public-domain box sets, just to hear more Lubin underscores. (I do have the OSB CD, but surely there are more creepy cues used in that series than the couple on the CD?)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tanaleaf,

It's nice to see another fan of Lubin's (as well as Frontiere's). The closing theme to season two, used in different variations in some of the second season episodes, remains one of my favorite musical segments in all of television. I wish it (specifically the closing theme) were longer -- but that's a great sign, IMO -- music that leaves you wanting more. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

You're absolutely right, it's an ascending note, not a single note, as I so awkwardly tried to describe it. I was thinking of that image of hitting a single note on a piano, pausing, then hitting the next higher one. That's about my level of musicianship, anyway. :) But I'm a professional music appreciater! (I use that word as W uses "decider").

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf

Exactly. And additionally, if we actually hit not just a single note each time, but instead hit two notes simultaneously -- a two-note chord, as it were, where the additional note is a "perfect fifth" above the first note (for example, notes A and E together) -- then pause dramatically, and then move those two notes together up one piano key each and hit 'em again, bingo, we're in the musical "Borderland". :)

I likewise suspect parallel fifths, gently rising and falling one note at a time, are also behind that softer, rather haunting theme music often played at the very beginning and very end of many first-season episodes (quite frequently under the concluding Control Voice narration).

Fun stuff to noodle around with whenever a piano (or other keyboard) presents itself.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf

Me, too -- it's been a favorite of mine since childhood, when I first heard it during the series' original run. It's often been described as a "reworking" of his own previous ONE STEP BEYOND theme -- and maybe it is, to some degree, but nevertheless I think the OL theme stands very well on its own merits, and indeed may even surpass its earlier OSB incarnation.

Another favorite OL Lubin theme is that incredibly creepy cue that plays in "Wolf 359" whenever the wraithlike Plag entity manifests itself, and in "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" whenever William Shatner encounters that drifting Venusian alien (who resembles a long-haired Mr Peanut gone bad), and probably in a few other episodes as well. Do you know the track I'm thinking of?

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
A Lubin CD featuring the second season main & end credits theme, the creepy "Wolf 359" cue, Ikar's theme (if I can call it that) from "Keeper Of The Purple Twilight," that soft, low, haunting motif (Trent's theme?) from "Demon With A Glass Hand," the spooky repeating riff from "Counterweight," and all the rest of his Season 2 tracks would be great (and might even all fit on just one disc).

I don't know much about recording technology or mixing practices, but even if the original recordings no longer exist or cannot be located, wouldn't it be possible to somehow extract Lubin's OL music tracks from the finished episode soundtracks for a CD release? (They managed to extract the music tracks from THE FUGITIVE Season 2 -- would such extracted tracks be playable, or are they actually just erased or filtered out, rather than extracted in any sort of intact, playable form?)

On another note (pun intended), I recall that prior to David Schow's OL book, he first contributed a series of articles on OL to a now-defunct "Twilight Zone" magazine (back in the 1980s, I believe). These articles may have been the earliest developmental stage of what later would evolve into his book on the series, but I know that in one of those magazine installments he reproduced the musical score (by which I mean the actual sheet music itself) of Lubin's second-season OL end title theme. I was surprised and disappointed to find that particular graphic not included in either incarnation of his OL book (at least, I don't think it's in there). I did keep that issue, though, and studied that score no end. (I don't read music, but I did manage to laboriously transliterate that brief score into guitar tabulature -- which was very interesting to play on electric guitar!)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I do own the season two closer on Television's Greatest Hits (vol. 2) (TVT1200 TeeVee Toons); and yes, Ikar's theme is awesome. It's actually the segment in Keeper of the Purple Twilight, right near the point where Ikar (in human form) steps on all of the ants, that I love so much. It's almost a variation of the season two closing music (also in G minor) that I am so very, very fond of musically. This is the one that outlines a descending augmented triad (i.e., D / B-flat / F-sharp ... finally resolving to the tonic G). This segment was not included on the GNP Crescendo release; I don't think it will make the 3-CD set either, unfortunately, since (I believe) this is Lubin, not Frontiere.

And here is that season two closing gem once again:

http://mythemes.tv/series/themes/closing/outerli3.mp3

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I'm not sure about the MGM masters for TOL, but video programs have a split track master - dialogue on one, music and sfx on the other, so there would be a way to extract musical tracks for a cd release. It may not be up to the quality of the original master recording tapes, but it's certainly do-able.

And on another note (pun repeated), if you're browsing through old Twilight Zone Magazine issues, check out my story in the issue with the black panther woman on the cover (forget what date - 1984?), "Edison Came To Stay." Shameless Plug Dept.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf

Yep -- and there's that raised 7th again (F#), which again makes what would otherwise be a standard G minor chord so hauntingly eerie. Lubin uses it very effectively, and certainly gets a lot of mileage out of it.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf

I'll look for it, if I have any complete issues left (I may have just kept torn-out and/or photocopied pages of the OL articles from that magazine...).

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Charles Thaxton
Many of the season two cues can be "harvested" from the DVDs by running audio outs into a CD or digital recorder. Almost every episode has sections of music without dialogue or minimal sound efx which can be assembled into a "home made" season 2 CD (I've done this) You can use any number of editing and mastering software plug-ins to make the tracks sound better and de-noise them. You can then assemble them on your PC in a program like EZ CD Creator and assign them as separate tracks or do cross fades for a more "flowing" experience. At least you can have this until an official Lubin CD happens (if ever). You can even design your own CD inserts-get creative, folks.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Oh yeah, I used to do this with the early Twilight Zone DVDs ("The Midnight Sun" and "A Passage for Trumpet" come to mind). And then Image released the Definitive Editions, with their glorious isolated scores (which I greedily ripped). I've now got a pretty impressive Twilight Zone Lost Scores folder on my iPod. :-D Next project: The Outer Limits Season 2. Thanks for the idea!

On another note, I placed my order for the OL 3-disc set on Thursday of last week, and haven't heard ANY response from LaLaLand Records... Hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks