What's new

Outer Limits (Original Series) - Why Rereleased? (1 Viewer)

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Great story, Hollywoodaholic :emoji_thumbsup:

I enjoyed "Wolf 359" quite a bit but enjoyed "The Invisible Enemy" more. I agree about the men's screams, pretty chilling. I love it when things aren't always seen but left to our imagination instead. :) I really like how the characters had a time limit to save Adam West's character and the choices they made.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I don't know much about music either. Usually I get to caught up in the story and characters, that I don't always hear the music but when I do, I find it to be excellent.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There are some episodes I just have not watched yet on these sets, and I've had them for a few years! I just saw Keeper of the Purple Twilight. It had an interesting premise, but didn't really work for me. The Inheriters I have not seen in many years and I don't remember it much.

I was just reading the episode review of Behold Eck! in Schow's book. I didn't realize it was considered a poorly realized episode and frowned upon by the producers. I still like it!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Attachment 779

No, this isn't eBay, but I thought the people on this thread might enjoy seeing the Outer Limits cards in their entirety. The color is a hoot, but the odd thing is how they basically created entirely separate stories and names for the monsters on the cards. I'll have to post in 6 parts for all cards because of file size.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, thanks for posting those card images. I remember as a young child having the crap scared out of me by the Outer Limits (during its original run), and those cards with their images remind me of those experiences. I believe that I actually had a few of those cards many, many years ago.

After reading through this great thread, I'm going to have to break out the DVDs and watch some of these episodes again.

- Walter.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for those screen shots of the Bubbles, Inc. cards, Wayne. I happened to check out ebay myself yesterday and was having fun with those captions while browsing the seller pics. A couple favorites:

"The Clay Man's Next Victim" (Andro, from "Man Who Was Never Born")

"The Television Terror" (The Galaxy Being)

[A stab at executives who just never could fathom the concept behind OL?]

"The Brainless Glob" (Box creature from "Don't Open 'till Doomsday")

[Rather auspicious caption for a being that came close to "uncreating the universe"!]

By the way, the Rittenhouse cards released in 2002 sure are nice.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

What are the Rittenhouse cards? Are they of the original series?

BTW, was not the episode with Andro, "The Man Who Was Never Born," one of the saddest stories ever aired on television? The music, the theme, the story, and two great actors (Martin Landau and Shirley Knight) added up to an emotional wallop that still haunts to this day.

P.S. - And it included another plot point that James Cameron nicked for The Terminator - the child/man/scientist whose birth needed to be prevented to save mankind.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

A firm fan favorite and it's easy to see why. Martin Landau's performance is top notch and I'm especially fond of the way he delivers his lines in the scene where he confronts Betram Cabot Sr. ("You are going to marry a very lovely girl..."). Dominic Frontiere pulled all the stops in this one to give us his most lyrical score of the series. Every now and then I enjoy listening to the GNP Crescendo soundtrack to OL which features the complete score. Too bad just the one volume to the music was produced.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Wayne, THANK YOU for sharing those card scans. And the story about your son was cool too. :)

On the subject of the music, I'm listening to GNP/Crescendo's soundtrack (on my iPod) as I type this. I really wish further volumes had been released... the music from "The Forms of Things Unknown" still haunts me all these years later. And the Lubin scores from season 2! Love 'em.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Any of you guys familiar with this site? It's my favorite website devoted to OL:

'+' (p.s.--that's a weird looking link, but it works)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, thanks a bunch for posting those pics of the cards. These are the ones I owned, I believe in the late 1960s. They were among my favorite cards, and I had over a thousand different types of cards at the time.

Michael_ks:
I am quite pleased that I picked that one up years ago as well. I think a few more of my favorites are the music to Nightmare and Hundred Days of the Dragon.

Wouldn't it be cool if Frontiere and Lubin were reading this thread? I think they would have good feelings about how much their art is appreciated.

Incidentally, I watched The Duplicate Man last night. I had forgotten how effective the Megazoid is in that one. But even as much as the 'bear' may have stolen the show years ago when it first aired, I must say the storyline that caught my attention was the thought that was put into the duplicate man, and why he had to be destroyed after five hours. I got chills when I heard one of the actors say that not all of them were able to be destroyed, and that when they were not, they survived with the memories of those whom they duplicated. This is the stuff of which great sci-fi is made.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael ks,

Thanks for that link. I will have a peek at it from work tomorrow (I have dial-up from home, and it didn't load too well).

I wanted to mention a couple of other things that send chills up my spine in this series. For me, I think the first best opening of any episode (I mean prior to the opening music) I have ever seen in TOL is the introduction to The Children of Spider County. It's not only the dark road, and the car crash as the alien is seen coming out of the woods, but also the unbelievably effective sound effect that is nearly synchronized with the viewers' having seen the alien's true form. I can't really describe the sound effect, except to say that it reminds me somewhat of the Martians' ray-gun sound effect in the original The War of the Worlds.

But this is only part of the effect. As the face of the alien fades, and the sound effect diminishes, we see and hear some split-second editing which transitions seemlessly into the pungently-dissonant opening of the credits that we are all accustomed to hearing before we see "The Outer Limits" flash on the screen. The two sounds--one concluding the opening scene and the other introducing the opening credits--must be seen and heard to be believed. I know of no other moment in the series that is quite like it.

Another wonderful segment has to do with The Mutant. It too occurs near the beginning, around ten or so minutes into the episode. Reese Fowler has done his best not to shake hands with the newly arrived Dr. Riner--he instead adjusts his glasses to give his hands something to do. After the introductions have been completed, and the death of the communications expert is (albeit very cryptically) explained, the group moves from the right of the screen off to the viewers' left. Reese is the last one to move in the same direction, and again keeping his distance, the musical track changes to convey that 'other-worldly' and ethereal sound world whic

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I just finished off my set and the episode "The Probe". I liked it a lot, especially how they were able to figure out what was going on, what the creature was and how to communicate with what little info they had. I love the music in this one. Too bad season 2 ran so short, I really got into it, more than I did with season 1, which I hope to watch again someday.

Those cards look awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks