What's new

Outdoor theater on a budget (1 Viewer)

Nathan S

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan S
Hi all,

I am in the process of redoing our backyard to make it functional and fun for the kids and family. We recently finished installing soccer nets and I am building several couches and coffee tables. We're going to add a fire pit too.

I am looking at installing an outdoor theater. I have 150" of wall space to work with. I ordered a 100" pull down screen. I am looking for recommendations on a projector that will work well outside (I've been told the higher the Lumens the better). I'm trying to stay as budget conscious as possible, while still getting 1080P and something that will work well outside.

The theater wall will be right next to my den where the TV, Xbox and media streamer are located. The projecter will be on a shelf on the tree approximately 12 feet away. The right way to run the wiring is probably to dig a trench, but I'm not going to do that right now, perhaps next year, so I will probably drill a hole through the den wall to run the hdmi cables and then install some pvc pipe on the wall with a cap. I'll store the long hdmi cable in there and then run it to the projector when we use it. Then, for audio, I am going to hang some outdoor speakers on the wall behind the screen. I figured I'd run an audio cable from the projector to the speakers when we use it.

If anyone has any suggestions re: the above, or other tips

Nathan S

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan S
I should add that I just measured, it is 20 feet from the wall that will have the screen to the tree that the projector will be mounted on, if that matters in terms of the projector recommendation. Some of the projectors I've been looking at say they are best used at about 8 feet. Not sure if there is a recommendation for a projector that is better suited for longer distances.

Thanks,

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks