What's new

Outdoor speakers? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Tried to Bumpan old thread but it was archived.

Currently investigating outdoor speakers for my new deck being built soon.

Wirecutter's rec's look a bit milquetoast to me...
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-outdoor-speakers/

Currently thinking I might go with a pair of Def Tech 6500s
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-Outdoor-Speaker-Single/dp/B00170O1HK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&srs=2529250011&ie=UTF8&qid=1453081692&sr=1-1&keywords=definitive+technology+6500

I wouldn't mine having a powered sub out there too but not sure on that.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Sure - they have 2 models - I have heard the smaller of the two at my friends pool and they surprised me with the bass output that was available. I was thinking about adding the bigger version to my 5.1 system as a zone 2 addition on my receiver ... but then I ran out of budget...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've ordered the Def Tech 6500s, will keep ya posted. The HTDs were in consideration but the easy order via free Amazon Prime sealed it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hooked up the 6500s indoors to a Pyle stereo amp that came the same day. Speakers sound quite beefy, initial impressions are very good. Was worried about some bass boom from em to start but it turns out to be a dial on the Pyle, turned it down and they are razor sharp. Unfortunately the Pyle has a constant hiss issue on the right channel, which may or may not be tied to the Bluetooth receiver issue, almost (strangely!) identical to what I experience on my Monoprice hybrid stereo tube amp. Are all bluetooth modules just shitty or is it me? I filed a return and Amazon crossed shipped me another Amp, hopefully #2 doesn't have the same issue and I can get these guys hung up as soon as this snow passes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ok so we are all wired up.

Outdoor speakers
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Later this weekend I will silicone caulk around the mounting blocks and wrap the connectors with electrical tape.

Yes, the wiring is a bit ugly. Until I can get my father down here to fish and run the lines from inside the house I'm going to have to live with it like that.

Outdoor speakers
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

VERY happy with the Pyle stereo amp. You really can't ask for a better value at $90. Bluetooth connectivity, USB and SD Card ports, and 125 watts per channel in a compact box. Deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6ND1LU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

The remote is chintzy but I am putting a 32GB SD card on shuffle play, setting and forgetting the volume inside and going outside to enjoy. Who needs a remote?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I like your setup. I bet that is going to be a nice addition to any type of gathering that you have in the back yard.

Ben Weber

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Are there any self-powered speakers out there or any way in general to avoid an amplifier? Or a waterproof amp? I am struggling with the layout of having an outdoor theater (which is 20-30 feet from the house) with a movie projector, screen, and speakers outside but having to have an amplifier inside. Lots of cords running around.

i would take the projector out only when in use, if i do that with an amp too i need to hook/unhook much more and would need to do this even when just listening to music.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Update: fired up the grill last week and found out one of my DefTech speakers was 95% dead. I could hear sound coming from it, but just barely. I reached out to them on twitter, they responded with contact info. I sent my serial to a tech and they overnights me a replacement, almost no questions asked. Customer for life! Also found out they are close to here and now part of the Denon/Marantz group. Very cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks