What's new

outdoor movies, homemade Drive-in??? (1 Viewer)

Brett Br

Auditioning
Hi, ive been setting up lately on the weekends a sound system w/ 10' X 10' screen along with a lcd video projector and my dvd player in my backyard lately. They have become a pretty cool thing to do with the friends. It brings back the old drive in days. Anyway, i was looking for maybe a double-feature or something with the 'drive in' type thing. I started thinking about a 3-d Movie or some old slasher movies. Anyone got any suggestions??? Help me think of some all time drive-in classics or even better some real stunning 3-d movies i can show to the group. I have seen these new Imax 3-d's and they seem to need some new glasses, and i have about 10-12 people over so that is out.. Any Ideas would be great. trying to keep the ideas new.. Even a real good creepy/scary movie would be great.Thanks for the help...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea if "Creature from the Black Lagoon" is available, but it's both 3-D and drive-in material! :)
/Mike

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Ironically, I was driving on I-74 through Shelby, North Carolina and spotted a real, live, working DRIVE-IN!!! They were playing "Halloween Resurrection" and a couple other scary features. You could see portions of the screen from the road (which would make for some interesting fender-benders, I'm sure.)

Anyway, it's funny to see an operating Drive-In theater after all this time. I remember going to one when we were little kids in our one-piece jammies, and those AWFUL, huge, clunky, metal-box speakers that you had to hook onto the windows (with that "tin" sounding music!).

Funny, how far we've come, huh? In fact, I'm sure many of us were conceived in the back seats in a Drive In.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Brett,

The best time I ever had at the drive in was watching Pink Floyd's The Wall.

I could see a double feature of comedies to be a good time with friends however. Perhaps The Money Pit, followed by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

But if it were me, I'd go with the Quenton Terentino film festival weekend.

Friday:
True Romance, Resevoir Dogs, Desperado.

Saturday:
Pulp Fiction, From Dusk til' Dawn, Jackie Brown.

(Just my favorites, of course)

And Jenna,
There are still plenty of "operational" drive-ins fuctioning in the U.S. You make it sound just the opposite.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
There's a guy in the neighborhood that does the driveway drive-in at Halloween. He plays old scary movies like the Universal monster movies on the garage door.
Andy

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Is there a drive in that allowed you to put a speaker at each window and a center speaker on your dashboard and a subwoofer on the floorboard of your car? I would never go to a drive-in if they only provide mono sound.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Ken,
Going to a drive-in isn't about getting a great HT experience, man.
Obviously you've never been.
Now-a-days you tune into a very high frequency on you FM band and listen to the audio.
Drive-ins are all about two things:
1. The outdoor, party atmosphere, or
2. Fooling around with your date in the privacy of your own vehichle.
It's not about THX or bust.....
lol:D

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Well, if I can tune into an FM station with a stereo broadcast, that'll be ok. I do have a $20 subwoofer in my van. If we all had Pro Logic 2, we can tune to the FM station from the theater and listen in 5.1.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Well, if I can tune into an FM station with a stereo broadcast, that'll be ok. I do have a $20 subwoofer in my van. If we all had Pro Logic 2, we can tune to the FM station from the theater and listen in 5.1.
Do drive in's really broadcast in PL? and are there any PL/PLII car head units? Looks like I might have answered my own question.
http://www.dolby.com/in-car/
Ill post more revelent links if I find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks