Outdoor home theater setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric D Wong, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

Sep 8, 2003
    Forgive if in wrong section- but I figured only the 'advanced' enthusiast would even think about doing this....

Anyway here goes.... Has anybody done an outdoor setup? I would imagine this would be the most resonance and standing wave free enviroment.

What inspired me was I did a DJ gig a few weekends ago outdoors, I played my system over a swimming pool. It sounded really really good I thought. No reflections or anything like that, and a huge area for natural echo. We also have a local drive in theater, but they pipe the sound thru crappy FM.

Only trouble is the speakers would have to be weatherproofed and you might look a little crazy sitting outside at night listening to your system. Not to mention you probably need a huge back yard to do this without getting the neighbors on you and a ton of firepower.
  2. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

Dec 23, 1999
    I did a Co-Op for a guy who had 5.1 around his hot tub out side... he just ran wire from his Denon 5803 I think it was, outside... and he had windows that would open up so you could watch his Pool-Room Projection screen... Was a slick setup heh.

directly behind the camera was the hot tub outside.. lol was really cool heh There is now a pool table where the deck is.

Dont remember what speakers he used... but if MK makes outdoor speakers.. I would put my money on them... Or maybe B&W..