Outdoor Enclosure for Grounding Block

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Preston Durrer, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Preston Durrer

Preston Durrer Auditioning

I'm re-routing the cables to my satellite dish. I'd like to mount the grounding block inside a weatherproof enclosure. I've googled 'till I'm cross-eyed, but have yet to find a source for these. I even looked at the name on the enclosures used by the telephone and cable companies, but that hasn't helped either.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

Thanks,
    Preston

2. LarryTT

LarryTT Auditioning

I'm not 100% certain on what exactly you are looking for... but am going to guess you are looking to place the external distribution block for the Sat Cable inside a waterproof box?

Take a look at www dot blackbox dot com (sorry, don't have enough posts to put a real link) They carry all sorts of data and telecom stuff.

Larry

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A good-sized hardware store should have electrical outlet box's and outdoor "junction box's" for low-power lighting out in the yard. It should have "pop-out's" for the wires and be fairly water-tight. (Hint: leave the pop-out's and drill your own holes for the wires.

If you really want a book-sized case with a hinged lid, why not get a cheap outdoor sprinkler timer and remove the guts?

The outdoor junction box's used by the telephone company might be available from electronic supply stores that cater to the telecom industry. One that I have delt with is "GreyBar" electronics. Look in the phone book under "Telecom supplies" and see if they have a "Will-Call" where you can just drive up and browse. (Warning: the big companies dont typically deal with consumers. They want large corporate accounts that phone-order things. Ask about a local wherehouse with a walk-in service.)

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s a nice idea, Preston, but really unnecessary. You can get rubber sleeves I think from Radio Shack that slide over the F-connectors and make the connection watertight.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt