What's new

outboard processor (1 Viewer)

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
what are the options for an outboard processor only no preamp function just an add on processor to integrate into a 2 channel system. must have all current modes although 7.1 is not a deal breaker

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The best way to connect a processor is through a tape monitor loop. Unfortunately late-model receivers don’t have them anymore.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What processing would you need for only 2ch? All sources will output in stereo, and all DSPs will be basically useless with just two speakers.

My PM7000 (2003) integrated has a tape loop.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I was not clear sorry ...I want an outboard dolby digital dts etc processor to integrate into an an existing system..not another pre/pro

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Those are few and far between, and are no longer being made.

I have a Sony SDP-E800 which is currently retired. There are also units from Technics, Marantz, and others that can be found on E-Bay for pretty short money.

The kicker is your receiver MUST has 5.1 analog inputs to use it, or I suppose you could send the output straight to a power amp.

BGL

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I use a Technics SH-AC500D and it does have a volume control but it's major weakness is that it won't downmix DTS (so if you don't run a center channel, it won't blend it back to the mains) or do bass management (so it will play the DTS track as recorded). The funny part is that it will do these for DD.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any 7.1 standalone processors?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Multichannel DTS is always like that, there is no way to downmix it that I have ever seen. There are only 2 varieties - stereo (which I have seen for music only) and mutlichannel for movies. I believe he is looking to add a processor that will give him multichannel playback to expand on a 2ch system. I haven't seen many stand alone processors in a few years, so used is the best bet. Check www.audiogon.com

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
what I was hoping for was something along the lines of an updated Technics SH-AC500D....

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I guess the manufacturers have figured that in the face of $200 receivers with a full complement of decoding modes, there's not a very big market for a low dollar external decoder.

BGL

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm it would seem that there would be a market for it for people who dont want to use a receiver and have good pre/amp combos already...low or high $$

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks